PDA

View Full Version : Revalidation for light aircraft

elmorejames
31st Aug 2002, 09:53
How easy is it nowadays to convert back onto light singles after a gap of twenty years flying commercial heavy types? My ATPL used to cover the priveleges of a PPL for all light singles but having just renewed it (CAA not JAA) it appears that further re-training may be necessary to revalidate this part. I'm quite happy to do the usual familiarisation check outs etc. in fact looking forward to putting in several hours, but would like to know the definitive requirements. Who has to sign which piece of paper? I should say that I have already received conflicting advice!

Thank you in anticipation

rustle
31st Aug 2002, 11:42
Under JAR you need a valid CofT or a valid CofE for each type.

Since you won't have either, you need a CofT, and this can be signed by any PPL examiner once you've successfully flown the full JAR PPL skills-test (GH and NAV).

The CAA website has all the details, as well as a comprehensive list of schools.

As for further training - at the discretion of FTO prior to test, so go do some flying with an instructor and then book your skills test ;)

Let us know how you get on!

(edited cos I always spell "won't" wrong, as is my wont)

BlueLine
31st Aug 2002, 17:34
You need to take a SEP Skill Test, but it is not the full PPL Skill Test as stated above. It is exactly the same as the Proficiency Check used for revalidation, comprising of a departure, climb to height, two stalls, two steep turns, a PFL, three circuits to include EFATO and a go around. Takes about 55 minutes.

Cs of T and Cs of E have gone and are replaced by a certificate of Renewal or Revalidation. If you haven't had a current Group A or SEP in 5 years, it goes to Gatwick for signing.

Training as required to pass the above test.

rustle
31st Aug 2002, 18:17
I should say that I have already received conflicting advice!
Cleared that up nicely then ;)

sevengreens
31st Aug 2002, 18:38
Oops ~ try again.

I've just retired after 30 years of nothing but heavy jets and am currently revalidating my PPL on SEPs. Great fun and luckily a bit easier than it was. They relaxed the rules back in May ~ see General Info Doc No. 33, Version 7 ~ specifically Part 3 (Aeroplane Ratings expired by 5 years or more, Single-Pilot, Single-Engine Class Rating.....(a) and (b). Also, back a paragraph or two,"No mandatory additional training will be required. Applicants should complete training at their own discretion sufficient to pass the Skill Test" and the Skill Test is as BlueLine describes. This is all straight from the horse's mouth from the guys at Gatwick SRG.
What I would say is invest in more hours than you would think. You never lose your basic flying skills and it comes back no problem, but the environment is definitely very strange and takes a while to get back into. Have fun!