PDA

View Full Version : Ass **** bureaucrats

Gin Slinger
31st Aug 2002, 01:34
Has anyone got an FAA PPL issued on the back of their CAA (JAR or otherwise) PPL since the new requirement for CAA verification?

andrewc
31st Aug 2002, 10:31
I got caught by this piece of cr@p while I was last out in
the US...having to organise a special trip to get the
certificate later in the year.

It is claimed to take 60 days to get the 'security' clearence
sorted between FAA & CAA...however the paperwork has
to be forwarded to a nominated FSDO, so you need to
plan this well in advance,

-- Andrew

Cahlibahn
31st Aug 2002, 11:00
The CAA can't give the necessary clearance to the FAA due, they say, to the UK Data Protection Act. It is, therefore, not currently possible to get a FAA Airman Certificate on the strength of your UK CAA or CAA issued JAA licence.

Gin Slinger
31st Aug 2002, 11:59
This is the CAA who site medical confidentiality as the reason why they can't answer medical questions via email, even if the original question was asked via email anyway.

The CAA are barmy. Utterly barmy.

dublinpilot
31st Aug 2002, 12:58
Going to the states in two weeks:D :D

Got my JAR PPL (Irish Aviation Authority) verified by FAA..and now just have to turn up at Flight Standards District Office.

I did have to contact the FAA to find out what the delay was about. (Took a few weeks) Anyway turns out FAA emailed IAA the day after my application was received, and the IAA reponded same day (but FAA lost response and IAA issued new one when I asked).

When I contacted the FAA, they said the new proceedure was working well, and most licences were only taken a few days to sort out....however they said "the only authourity we seem to be having difficulty with is the CAA in the UK". Sorry guys, you seem to be in the wrong country:p

I know from previous threads that your Data Protection Act seems to be the problem. What if you wrote to the CAA and gave them written permission to release your records to the FAA??

slim_slag
1st Sep 2002, 07:48
The CAA can't give the necessary clearance to the FAA due, they say, to the UK Data Protection Act. It is, therefore, not currently possible to get a FAA Airman Certificate on the strength of your UK CAA or CAA issued JAA licence.

This is obviously suspect, the data protection act permits transfer of your data to those nasty non European countries if the data subject permits it. Write the CAA a letter and instruct them to release your data.

And why can the Irish authorities release their data? The Data Protection Act is in place because of European legislation which sets the necessary standards. If the Irish can do it, so can the Brits.

Somewhere else the CAA is whining that they haven't got the manpower as they only have four employees to process as many as 3000 FAA licence applications. Approx 250 working days in a year equals 12 licences per day, equals three per employee.

rustle
1st Sep 2002, 08:06
The Data Protection Act is in place because of European legislation which sets the necessary standards. If the Irish can do it, so can the Brits.
Fortunately we have not assigned all of our rulemaking to Europe, else we would also be driving on the wrong side of the road :p

We have a UK Data Protection Act.

Gin Slinger
1st Sep 2002, 19:34
Got my Member of Parliament on the case - will report back with what he comes up with.

bluskis
1st Sep 2002, 20:17
I hope your MP doesn,t see an opportunity to spread the big brother syndrome any further.

slim_slag
3rd Sep 2002, 01:29
rustle

Fortunately we have not assigned all of our rulemaking to Europe, else we would also be driving on the wrong side of the road

:D :D I am sure the Eurocrats are working on that as we type.

We have a UK Data Protection Act.

Sure, but only because European Commission Directive 95/46 requires the UK to do so. The directive also tells the UK what it should say. :(