PDA

View Full Version : Can pilots have beards?

Frequency_Wild
5th Dec 2001, 00:33
Sorry to darken your forum with the apparently 'not so important', but I have a job interview very soon with a medium sized carrier - I also have a very neat/short and tidy 'goaty' style beard.

In all seriousness, should I shave it off before the interview? I have to say that whatever your views about such facial hair, I have had it for years and no one has complained yet! In fact, my pals and wife think it would be a huge shame to get rid of it :) The only reason I am asking is because the subject matter of beards and pilots came up in the pub the other day, and it was mooted that you rarely see airline pilots sporting anything other than a neatly trimmed moustache (is that how it's spelt?) And even then, they tend to be of the x-RAF types.

Oh God, I know I'm going to get abused for this post.... :rolleyes:

FW

Mad Mitch
5th Dec 2001, 00:43
Only the male ones

Frequency_Wild
5th Dec 2001, 00:45
You prepared to bet on that?

redsnail
5th Dec 2001, 00:46
I have seen beards, goaties, moustaches on pilots*. However, all have been currently employed. Whether or not a goatie would be acceptable at the interview stage might be another matter. If in doubt, shave it off. It can always grow back.
There was an issue in days gone by re the quickfitting Ox mask. I don't think that issue exists within QF or BA.

*male :D

JT8
5th Dec 2001, 02:18
My personal opinion would be to shave/pluck/wax it off for the interview :D

Sick Squid
5th Dec 2001, 03:15
No major airline will ever employ a pilot with a silly beard, especially a beard as silly as a goatee! No way!

If anyone on this board with a silly beard attempts to tell you he is a pilot, ignore him. If he has some idiot nickname based on unwell sea-creatures, pay him even less attention! Redsnail will back me up on this, no?

In all seriousness, have passed at least one of the "major airline interview-experiences" sporting a beard of the "artistic" variety. (EK ) However, the original sponsorship part was done without......(BA) though the rather belligerent and unannounced re-employment interview (again BA after the Gulf War) was with.

Do whatever you feel comfortable with. In other words, if it bothers you enough to post here, perhaps you'd be better to shave. If your girlfriend thinks a face like yours needs as much character lent to it as possible, and you believe that, then leave it on! :)

Your call. Good luck whatever!

£6.

Avenger
5th Dec 2001, 03:22
I have to agree with JT8 on this one.
Get rid of it, the interviewer wants to imagine you on the flight deck, not a snow board! Alas a sad fact.
Best policy is to return from a holiday with the re-growth then the old lags don't just think you're not bothering to shave.

QUERY
5th Dec 2001, 03:27
Unfair stereotyping but never underestimate its influence on decision-makers.
Not shaving facial hair = arty, dirty, rebel, Taleban or other trouble.
Moustache= gay, poser, Tyrolean, ?
Shaved head hair= possible yob.
With baseball cap= probable yob.
With shaved head and reversed baseball cap= definite yob.
Any other stereotypes?

redsnail
5th Dec 2001, 04:15
Sick squid,
Ah yeah, I met this dodgy geezer with a goatie. Tried to tell me he was a BA captain. Yeah right! Reckons he's got the scars to prove it. He was menacing a few pints and murdering some song on the piano in some bar at a small gathering of "fair dinkum" pilots. None of them had goaties. ;)

fergineer
5th Dec 2001, 04:33
Freq wild, I have a beard and have worked and therefore passed 3 interviews with airlines, Apart from the fact i am an FE the interviews were with the company CP's. As long as its neat and tidy I see no problem. I also arrived at my first airline interview on a motorbike and got changed in the toilet!!!!! That was also no problem when they asked about it. :D :D :D

liverbird
5th Dec 2001, 04:56
Stand out in the interview. grow some dred locks like me. RASTA FARI

West Coast
5th Dec 2001, 11:10
Airlines like conformists. Unless you want to stand out like a sore thumb nix the facial hair. Pretty hard to seal the O2 mask with a beard anyway.

N380UA
5th Dec 2001, 11:15
I've once seen me a female F/O with a beard. Kinda.

kopbhoy2
5th Dec 2001, 12:46
Heard a story once that a certain flag-carrier (clue - their a/c are Green!) didn't mind if their employees had beards but employees weren't allowed to grow them (i.e go through the stubbly phase) while with the company.

Theoretically you could grow a beard while on holidays then come back & Bob's yer uncle...

:confused:

Lawyerboy
5th Dec 2001, 13:13
Good grief, are you all seriously suggesting that someone is going to be materially prejudiced at interview simply because they have a goatee? Even the Navy allows beards, ferchrissakes, and I had a goatee when I got my job in the City (still have, in fact).

So long as you are dressed appropriately, are able to string more than a couple of syllables together and don't dribble on the carpet a little bit of (neatly trimmed) facial hair should not be a cause for either complaint or worry.

moggie
5th Dec 2001, 14:01
Yes the Navy allow beards - but only proper ones, not goatees. However, moustaches are strictly verboten in the Senior Service - so where is the logic?

I would suggest that you get rid of it when you go for interview then grow it back once you get the job (although they may complain!). Sure, it is probably unfair prejudice but as Bill Gates once said "life isn't fair - get used to it!".

It is also worth noting that goatee beards (or those that just encircle the mouth) have the unfortunate effect of making you mouth look like female gentitalia- Just a thought!

Frequency_Wild
5th Dec 2001, 18:09
:eek: Lawerboy,

Are you being serious??? The airline biz has to be one of the most 'posey' out there....!

everhard
6th Dec 2001, 06:27
Moggie,

Clearly been spending to much time with the wrong sort of woman. Where I come from, the women have no "beard" problems and all us guys have luxurious 'taches to put Magnum PI to shame.

Keep the muff tickler dude - you might get an interview board who appreciate it! :D

VFE
6th Dec 2001, 21:41
Keep the beard but make sure there´s no dinner left in it before you get to the interview. :D

QNH 1013
6th Dec 2001, 22:18
In another industry I have interviewed hundreds of candidates, so here are some facts:
1.You won't be ruled out for not having a beard.
2.You might be ruled out for having a beard.
3.In the present climate you won't be the only candidate being interviewed for the job.
4.Interviews are not easy to get at present, so you need to maximise your chances of success by every means possible. I am assuming you are serious about wanting the job.
5.Interviews are not always fair, logical, or even successful (you sometimes still pick someone who subsequently fails to live up to expectations) but I'm afraid you had better get used to it because life isn't always fair.
6.The more candidates you have to choose from, the more likely you are to reject someone for what might be considered a trivial reason.
7.In most companies and jobs, the ability to "fit-in" with the existing staff is a VERY important selection criteria. You will maximise your chances of success by looking at interview as if you are already one of the team. Anything that marks you out as different from the existing staff is a negative.
8.I have sat on interview panels where people have been rejected for far more trivial reasons than a beard. I can't honestly remember if any of our candidates were rejected solely for having a beard but I do recall it being held as a negative factor against more than one candidate.

Good Luck with the interview.

Frequency_Wild
6th Dec 2001, 22:25
Thanks for the advice.

The clippers are charging as I type..... :eek:

FW

TRon
6th Dec 2001, 23:03
What about Anal Beards??, I've certainly got one of them!.

InFinRetirement
7th Dec 2001, 02:12
Haven't you seen our PPRuNe Towers? Very nice beard. Dab hand with the Flymo he is :D

GlueBall
7th Dec 2001, 23:18
I have seen a few Captains with beards, but I have never seen a new First Officer with a beard. :rolleyes:

The Guvnor
8th Dec 2001, 13:28
The pix I've seen of Capt O P Jones, one of BOAC's most accomplished Captains, show him sporting a beard that would have gone down well with the most senior of the Senior Service... ;)

Plus of course after WWII, most of the BOAC types were ex RAF and sported 'taches.

The only thing that I'd penalise someone on would be designer stubble.

Wedge
8th Dec 2001, 13:52
Get rid of it, now.

If I was the interviewer I'd not be impressed. Think about that, then put yourself in the interviewers shoes, what would you think?

Besides, they look bloody stupid and are sooooooooo 1997!

rai
8th Dec 2001, 22:45
Whilst we're on the subject of personal grooming, what about having a shaved head?

Someone mentioned in a previous post that you would be stereotyped as a yob, but would the airlines seriously have an issue with a pilot shaving all of his hair off?

Tino
8th Dec 2001, 23:01
hahaha, what a laugh! You will NEVER be negatively asserted on a sollicitation due to wearing a well trimmed and neat ringbeard. Anyone who says otherwise is just jaleous not to be able to wear one.
A full beard is other stuff, as this sometimes is seen as a way of "hiding" your face... But I say again, moustaches and ringbeards are totally kosher in terms of etiquette as long as you trim them nicely.
What you wear is more important, choose a black or navyblue suit, a white shirt and a red tie. Your shoes must be classic black, shining and the underside must also be clean.
Do not use too much perfume, that is a definte NO-NO.

g10
9th Dec 2001, 02:47
Yeah, what about skinheads......would i be considered a yob?

Baggy
9th Dec 2001, 02:59
Bepe darling, I'm sure that if they really want you then they'll have you, and if not then there are evidently plenty of others willing to take you on!!!! Bag's. :o :D :D :) :p

AeroBatfink
12th Dec 2001, 02:06
In my dim and distant student days, I was once refused a McJob for having a similar facial decoration..... God, that was a relief!!
:D

Frequent Flyer
14th Dec 2001, 15:28
I shouldn't worry to much about the beard just make sure you wear a nice short skirt and plenty of lip stick and I am sure they won't notice your facial hair problem.
Best of Luck! :p

Kirstey
14th Dec 2001, 16:15
Top post!!!

What about Ginger hair? My career has nowt to do with aviation, but I do interview a lot of people for jobs in my team. Beards I have no problem with. Not sure I'd ever employ a Ginga though??

any ginger pilots out there?

JJflyer
14th Dec 2001, 16:28
Call me sexist but for female pilots I prefer no beards...

Seriously. My Father, a pilot for 33 years for Finnair, had a beard most of his career.

Some Airlines will tell you NO. Some don't care. I really do not see any difference as long as your beard is well groomed. I do not have one ( Usually ). Use of O2 mask is not a problem or not that I have heard of.

Mister Geezer
14th Dec 2001, 17:07
Within some airlines some people joked by saying you could only get a command if you had a beard since so many Capts had beards. Not so widespread now I think.

:)

VFE
15th Dec 2001, 19:10
The advantage of having a beard is that you can stroke it when you get confused and say things like "hmmmm - I seeeeee" at the same time! :D

VFE. :cool: