PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft for CPL

streamer
4th Dec 2001, 23:03
I Have now got to the stage where I have my merry 50 hours and my PPL but am looking towards my CPL / ATPL.

I am off to do some hour building towards this in Oz next year.

My questions are three-fold.

1 - I have been offered an arrow for £46/hour dry. Should I go for this or go for a cheaper 172 or similar.

2 - does anyone the burn rate for an arrow.

3 - What are the requirements imposed by the CAA with regards to using complex aircraft, I understand that there is a minimum requirement.

Many thanks.

streamer.

(keep up the good work, it keeps me sane)

Noggin
4th Dec 2001, 23:43
It does not matter what you fly, its how you fly it that matters. Most people fly around hour building completely wasting their money.
The 5 hours complex is a mandatory part of the CPL course.

Why not get the 50 hours cross country time you need to do an IR course. Do a M/E rating, then add the IR to your PPL, much better value than hour building. After that you only need to do a 15 hour CPL course which will be easy after doing the IR. Result CPL/IR after 200 hours and a better pilot.

englishal
5th Dec 2001, 00:55
Arrow II....75% cruise 10.15 Gal / hr, 55% 8 gals hr....

Believe a C172 will be around 8gal /hr

Hope this helps !

EA

[ 04 December 2001: Message edited by: englishal ]

G-LOST
5th Dec 2001, 01:15
Hour build in the cheapest (airworthy) aircraft you can find. As mentioned above, it is what you do that counts, not what you fly. Ask an instructor about what will count the most in terms of licensing requirements, and make sure when you arrive that you ask an Aussie instructor for help tailoring your program to the location. Local knowledge is all important.

Enjoy every moment of it, after all you're paying for the privilege!

streamer
5th Dec 2001, 02:23
Call me intellectually challenged, M/E rating ?

Megaton
5th Dec 2001, 02:26
You're intellectually challenged - feel better now? :D

M/E - multi-engine rating.

Charlie Foxtrot India
6th Dec 2001, 11:30
46 quid an hour is fairly hefty for a dry hire rate in an Arrow. Shop around.
My advice is to get experience on as many different types as you can, for a broad base of experience.
The burn rate for an arrow is 36lts an hour for a 180HP and 38lts an hour for a 200HP.