PDA

View Full Version : Flying an N-reg A/C in Romania

KazBird
30th Aug 2002, 11:23
Hi all,

Hoping some of the more knowledgable of you can help me out...

I currently hold a JAA PPL but I've been offered the opportunity to fly an N-registered aircraft in Romania. Am I right in assuming that I'll need to get a US certificate to fly an N-reg a/c anywhere?? If so can I do this without going to the USA??

I sent an email to the helpful chaps at the FAA and got an obviously generic answer and directed to their website which I'd already read!

Thanks in advance
KB

2Donkeys
30th Aug 2002, 11:31
You will of course need to check the details with the Romanian authorities. But...

Your JAA licence will be of no immediate use to you, although I believe that for a fee, it can be endorsed to permit you to act as PIC of Romanian aircraft. This may or may not be adequate to then go and fly an N-reg aircraft in Romanian airspace.

The clearest route is to obtain an FAA certificate on the basis of your existing CAA paperwork. As you will be aware, this has recently become much tougher, and cannot under any circumstances be done, without you visiting the US. In essence, paperwork must be forwarded from the UK CAA to the FAA FSDO concerned, attesting to your existing licence. Background checks are then completed, and only after this can you present yourself at the FSDO to pick up your certificate.

Allow 60 days plus for this process.