PDA

View Full Version : Crosswind Questions

OldAg84
29th Aug 2002, 12:57
A question for all the professionals here. At what speed/direction does wind start to cause extra work and or concern for you? And what are some of the crosswind limits for the aircraft you fly?
Thanks.

Have safe trips.

Disclaimer- any appearance or similarity to a punter/anorak is purely unintentional and coincidental. Poster bears no responsibilty for such appearance/similarity.;)

Doors to Automatic
29th Aug 2002, 15:36
I'm not an expert but I think it has as much to do with location as with wind speed.

A 30kt crosswind at one place may not cause too much trouble but a 15kt one elsewhere can be a real problem.

See the post below on Funchal Airport....

OldAg84
29th Aug 2002, 17:37
The Funchal thread was what piqued my interest. I understand that the effects of wind can be variable because of a number of different reasons. I'm not as much looking for the technical specifics as I am for individual professionals experience and tolerances if you will.

Thanks in advance.

rotary
30th Aug 2002, 20:36
Why?

OldAg84
31st Aug 2002, 17:21
rotary

Just trying to make a little conversation and learn a little bit.
Reading the Funchal thread made me curious. No nefarioos or journolistic reason.

crj-jockey
31st Aug 2002, 23:04
There are different limits for different airplanes.
In general, most passenger a/c have a crosswind limit around 30 kts. However, there are more strict limit for the LVO.

Terrain is certainly a contributing factor.30 kts CWC over flat terrain gives you most propably a stable approach, whilst 30kts in mountainious terrain ist good for some nice turbulences.

Another thing is the gust factor. 30kts steady are normally easier to fly than 5kts gusting 30.