PDA

View Full Version : Carill Aviation

backdraftuk
18th Feb 2002, 12:03
I am moving south for a while and would like to here anyones views on Carill at Southampton. I'm definitely thinking about a multi and maybe an IR.

Matthewjharvey
18th Feb 2002, 12:16
Backdraftuk :

I have just completed my CPL/IR at Carill - excellent school with very experienced instructors ie. ex BA 747-400 Captain, ex RAF Harrier instructor and test pilot and former CFI at SFT. The aircraft are in excellent condition (Seneca II and Seneca III) with very good avionics and with very good availability. Even with the crappy weather we have had lately I completed the CPL/IR in 3 months. The airport itself is a good environment to learn in, fairly quiet with regards to GA traffic but with a few commercial aircraft to occasionally make things interesting - you have to back track a significant amount whichever runway you use which occasionally causes a few delays. The prices are about in line with most other schools - not cheap but all landing and approach fees at Southampton are inclusive.

Anyway hope this helps and goodluck.

doomsday
18th Feb 2002, 16:04
Backdraft, a couple of years back when I was doing flt training at the now extinct SFT we rented an Arrow from Carill which I had the pleasure of picking up a number of times. I found all the people there including the owner to be very friendly and professional. No idea about the standard of training but the set up was good and the planes all seemed in good nick especially the arrow(although heard a rumour that said a/c got wasted during a gear up landing). But your best bet is to go down there and have a nose around yourself.

doomsday
18th Feb 2002, 16:08
Forgot to mention that if the former CFI mentioned in last post is Chris Marshall I can endorse the training as he definately knows what he's on about as his high level of student IR passes indicates.

Matthewjharvey
18th Feb 2002, 18:15
Doomsday, yes I am talking about Chris.