PDA

View Full Version : London Guildhall University - DL

FlyingForFun
18th Feb 2002, 01:00
Hi!

I've now contacted, and received replies from, all 7 schools which do distance learning courses for the ATPL exams, and I've narrowed it down to a choice of two.

Of the two, one not only sent me an excellent information package, but also comes very highly recommended by several people.

The second school which I'm considering, however, I haven't heard very much about, and that's London Guildhall University. A search of the forums didn't come up with much, except <a href="http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=008085&p=" target="_blank">this thread</a> from last year, which seems to be very positive, but is related to the full-time course, not the distance learning course.

So if anyone out there has done ATPLs at LGU, especially if it was distance learning, how did you find the course? Was the material well presented and easy to study from? Did you get the support you needed? LGU seem to only want 2 weeks of full-time study (one week per module) whereas everyone else wants 4 weeks (two per module) - why is this?

Thanks for any advice!

FFF. .-------

mboulton
18th Feb 2002, 01:49
Flyingforfun

Before you make a decision try Roger Henshaw at ETA Bournemouth

basil fawlty
18th Feb 2002, 03:07
A good friend of mine did the ATPL course at LGU about 4 years ago. Maybe things have changed since then but in general he says they are ok, they were the cheapest by far and he got through the exams with only a couple of resits. The negative (and thats what you want to know I'm sure) points were. .1. They didn't issue "complete" sets of course notes, he had to make a lot of his own notes from the lectures. They issued some knowledge in the form of handouts as the course progressed and a lot of exercise sheets, but this made for a somewhat untidy and disjointed folder!. .2. Some of the instructors were sh*t hot, others less so...They have probably changed by now, but if the guy that did the radio subjects is still there then beware! He just stands at the front of the class and reads from his notes, does not know the subject. Apparantly, I am told, because he was an ex dispatcher!

FlyingForFun
18th Feb 2002, 13:03
Thanks basil.

Point 1 would be a big negative for a distance learning course, because the only thing I'd have to learn from would be the notes!

Any other input, good or bad?

The cost doesn't concern me all that much - the main reasons I'm looking at LGU are the fact that the information they sent me was extremely good and was sent out extrememly quickly, and also the fact that they only need half the amount of full-time study as other distance learning courses, which will fit in better with a full-time job.

Lanky, according to the CAA, there is no registered training facility at Bournemouth at which you can do the ATPL ground school any more. This is from their document "Organisations Conducting CAA And JAR-FCL Approved Courses Of Flight And Ground Training" (catchy name, huh?), issue 14 dated 31/12/01. Do you know something the CAA don't? Or is this document out of date already?

Cheers,

FFF. .--------

Island Hopper
18th Feb 2002, 14:58
The 'Radio' guy is still there!

IH

[ 18 February 2002: Message edited by: Island Hopper ]</p>

scubawasp
18th Feb 2002, 16:23
well I've passed all of DH "radio" exams so far

David Webb
19th Feb 2002, 00:18
Flying For Fun,

The reason that "everyone else" requires two weeks of residential study per module is that it is a mandatory JAA requirement.

Davidils20l
19th Feb 2002, 00:38
DH may stand and read from the notes, but he knows exactly what you need to pass the radio exams. No more no less. The same with Law.

LGU is pretty good, the lectures are friendly and genrally more than willing to help. I was there full time, but often heard them talking about distance students they were helping via telephone and internet. They also have this great web link, that you will be given access to which will keep you in constant contact with the tutors.

I did find the notes a bit bland and lacking in certain subjects, in fact one subject didn't even look at the notes, but have heard that they have changes and updated their notes, following a simular pattern to the Jeppsen notes, so if that is true then you have nothing to lose really.

Best of luck, and remember no matter where you go it is going to be difficult, especially doing a DL cource, just keep at it, and find a school that will be there to help you when you need help.