PDA

View Full Version : Stansted/Luton

Woodman
21st Aug 2002, 19:28
I'm sorry if this has already been covered but I'm only an occasional visitor to this section of Pprune.

The government has outlined plans for airports that include options for one, two or three runways at Stansted.
They also talk about extending Luton's runway or even realigning it to run NNE-SSW.
In ATC terms with current technology and ignoring all the politics, environmental and other factors, is it possible to operate both airports in any combination of the options? I always thought that if STN was developed, LTN would have to close.

goatgruff
21st Aug 2002, 21:51
I don't know the definitive answer, but as both airports are completely independant of one another in terms of ownership and local planning terms, I wouldn't have thought that the development of Stansted wouldn't be a factor.
I know that there is a fairly vociferous anti airport expansion contingent in the Luton catchment area, which will put a spanner in any plans there.
Personally, I'd be happy if road access to Luton from the North was made easier, from where I live, it's 85 miles to Stansted and 87 to Luton (or 130 if I go via the M1), it takes 1hr 20 to get to Stansted, and anything up to 2hrs 30 to get to Luton. :rolleyes: