PDA

View Full Version : Travel insurance for USA to include the extremely hazardous activity of flying a C172

Gin Slinger
19th Aug 2002, 20:09
Hi private flyers!

I'm planning a 2 week trip to Florida to do some hour building and I'm bringing my brother along as a passenger.

For travel insurance - to include the flying - I've been quoted ~£75 for me, and ~£50 for my brother.

Does this sound reasonable or has anyone managed to get cover much cheaper?

AerBabe
19th Aug 2002, 20:49
Are you looking at insurance for a one-off trip, or for the whole year? £50 sounds maybe a little higher than usual for a one-off, although it's a while since I've checked. Who have you got quotes from?

no sponsor
19th Aug 2002, 21:27
Try American Express, and ask for the dangerous activity add-on. I recall about £40-50 for a 14 day stretch.

Gin Slinger
19th Aug 2002, 21:40
Yes, that's just for a one-off trip. Apparently, piloting a light aircraft is considered an 'extreme sporting activity', hence the high premium.

172 driver
19th Aug 2002, 22:06
I've no connection with this outfit, other than as a satisfied customer, but Traffords in Flitwick fixed me up with an annual world wide policy to include both private flying and skiing for £96 per year.

If you're planning to travel more than once a year, this seems to be pretty good value to me.

NotAnotherUsername
19th Aug 2002, 22:08
I holiday'ed in the states a few months back and found that the annual travel insurance I have doesn't cover flying - I bought a policy from this lot to cover the times when I was flying: http://www.duinsure.com/uk.html

It was something like £25-30 to get two weeks cover. Price seemed good but (thankfully!) no idea if the service is any good if you have to claim.

Keef
19th Aug 2002, 22:54
172D - any more details on that Traffords policy?

My present Travel Plan (PPP) is for the chop when renewal time comes, and I'm looking for an annual travel policy that includes flying and the USA, for me and the Missus.

Gin Slinger
19th Aug 2002, 23:34
The quote I mentioned above was from Trafford's - seems rather steep paying £75 for a one-off trip when annual cover is only an extra £20 or so.

I'm galled to pay the extra for the annual over - I simply won't be use it.

VP8
20th Aug 2002, 05:29
Don't forget you now have to give a minimum 60days notice to the FAA in Oklahoma for background checks if want US pilot Certificate. This came into effect beginning of August..

See WWW.faa.gov/avr/afs/flightinstruction/n8700-15.htm

also http://registry.faa.gov for form

VEEPS

sennadog
20th Aug 2002, 15:42
Not wishing to advertise here but thanks to the previous poster who resembles a certain American aircraft. Just save a bundle there!:)

172 driver
21st Aug 2002, 22:17
Keef -

You can contact Traffords on 0870 9000 331 or their website is www.traffordsinsurance.co.uk (http://www.traffordsinsurance.co.uk/) .

Hope this helps!

Keef
22nd Aug 2002, 00:31
172D - thanks! I filled out their online form, and wait to see what the quote is like.

I saw today that the PFA offers something similar, so I'll give that a whirl too.