PDA

View Full Version : Vor

Lawyerboy
19th Aug 2002, 11:07
Quickie for you: as a student, am I supposed to be using the VOR in addition to dead reckoning to help find my way about, or not? Or, to put it another way, if I appear to be tracking a VOR on my test will I fail?

2Donkeys
19th Aug 2002, 11:34
The Skills test is a test amongst other things of your ability to navigate using your eyes and a map.

If you appear to be using a VOR as a crutch, you will not come across favourably.

Failing for tracking a VOR per se is unlikely.

spittingimage
19th Aug 2002, 11:34
Your examiner should make it clear beforehand when/if he will accept use of VOR. If he does not mention it, then ask. I assume we are talking PPL Skill Test here.

Usually, suspected sly/naughty use of the VOR (or ADF, RNAV etc) is easily dealt with by deselection of the frequency by the examiner ! In my view, there is nothing wrong with monitoring position / progress by VOR on a practice diversion but I suggest you check this out in advance with the examiner.

Just make sure that if something is used it is used properly !

Lawyerboy
19th Aug 2002, 12:15
Noted, ta muchly. The temptation to rely on the damn thing is rather strong, isn't it...

Aussie Andy
19th Aug 2002, 12:46
I think the point is to test your ability to navigate effectivly by DR. I don't think this precludes taking a cut from a VOR to confirm your position. I think I was asked to track towards a VOR and an NDB later in the flight, separately from the main NAV exercise, and after the diversion - which of course was done with thumb, pencil, map and stopwatch alone! :)