PDA

View Full Version : Mode S Dates

Potter1
19th Aug 2002, 09:51
Could anyone please tell me when other European countries are planning on making Mode S transponders mandatory for all aircraft.

I know our beloved CAA is planning 2008, I just wondered if other countries are planning on the same date?

P...

foghorn
19th Aug 2002, 10:19
PPL/IR Org has a date blacklist for all of these things at

www.pplir.org

I think some countries are considering making mode S mandatory in 2005:eek:

cheers!
foggy.

sennadog
19th Aug 2002, 12:12
What is Mode S? And what is the background to it? I couldn't find any information on that site.

Potter1
19th Aug 2002, 12:58
This is my basic understanding of Mode S and stand to be corrected.

Mode S transponders give the same data as Mode C transponders but with the addition of aircraft type, weight and other data specific to that aircraft. They have been used in commercial AC for some time, but it is planned to eventually make every type of flying object (powered or not) have one within the next ‘X’ number of years.

I think the powers that be in this country will realise how costly and complex this idea is and scrap it for non-IFR flights long before the implementation date is reached.
But my question related to other countries, as I often fly round Northern Europe (VFR) and I don’t think other controlling organisations will scrap the requirements.

By the way, does anyone know how much a GA mode S transponder is these days? Last I heard £3000 -> 5000 was the going rate!
:confused:

Who has control?
19th Aug 2002, 14:55
So how do you tell if your Transponder is Mode S compatible?
I was told that our aircraft's Transponder had no altitude reporting capability, even though there is 'ALT' switch position on it

foghorn
19th Aug 2002, 15:03
It's usually quite simple. Your wallet will feel very light :D

Seriously, this is because if have mode S, your transponder will be new or very nearly new, since they have not been available for long for light aircraft, and you will have paid a fortune for it compared to a standard transponder (about five grand compared to about a grand) .

As for mode C, many transponders are mode C compatible, however quite often an altimeter encoder is not fitted so mode C altitude reporting signals are not sent even with the transponder in the 'Alt' position. Aircraft with this set up are supposed to be placarded (but often aren't).

cheers!
foggy.

LowNSlow
19th Aug 2002, 15:15
Sennadog There have been a few threads about Mode S. Try a search on "Mode S".

I'm not optimistic about the government binning it after realising how expensive the system will be. They are more likely to demand exemptions for various flyers like hangliders, balloons etc who have no power supplies. The rest of us will have to bite the bullet and cough up. :mad:

We'll still have to pay £5-6K to install the damn things in our aeroplanes though unless the prices come down. According to the last issue of Popular Flying magazine a sub £1,000 Mode S unit will be on sale reletively quickly. Now where have I heard that before...... :rolleyes:

My biggest whinge is that I feel it will be a waste of money as a lot of ATC units are going to tune out the returns from light aircraft to maintain some clarity on their systems. Can you imagine how many returns Luton Radar will be getting from Panshanger, Rush Green, Elstree, Wycombe etc etc. :eek: :eek: