PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Ft Lauderdale...any recommendations?

rex
18th Aug 2002, 11:50
Hi

Just wondering if anybody has experience of schools/aircraft hire in Ft Lauderdale. I understand that I will need an airman certificate. As I am off to catch the sun in Florida in mid October I suppose I will have to act quickly.

REX:)

GoneWest
18th Aug 2002, 13:25
Rex - do you also understand that you will have to do a full FAA PPL check ride to get that airmans certificate (unless you already have one)??

When are you leaving?? I'll try to find a link, or two, when I log off pprune.

rex
18th Aug 2002, 14:40
Yep, I understand, I think. Is it more akin to a test or a regular club checkout with any obvious diferences (apart from the language:D )?

If it takes me the best part of a day, so be it as I am likely to go back to the States again in 3 - 4 months. The airmans certificate would be very useful then.

Look forward to your post

Thanks

REX:)

GoneWest
18th Aug 2002, 16:20
Rex - it most certainly is a TEST - and probably not with an "in house" club examiner.

There will be a fairly simple written test first (likely to be done on a computer) - but even some of that will take a bit of effort as you try to work out the regulations and procedures out here.

No real reason why, but the written test is usually (?) done on a different day. If you fail it, you cannot sit the practical, and if Mr Examiner has travelled to meet you - it may turn ugly.

You will also need a minimum of three hours dual training before being allowed to take the test - you require an instructor "sign off" in order to qualify for flight test. You may need substantially more - depends on your experience.

Part one of flight test is an Oral exam - have known this part alone take FOUR HOURS. Get through this bit - then you can go fly the practical test.

What sort of aircraft do you want in Lauderdale?? Single engine? Two seat, four, six?? Piper, Cessna...what??

stiknruda
18th Aug 2002, 17:44
I have rented from Cav-Air at Ft Laud Exec and can honestly say that they were some of the best maintained and kept aeroplanes that I have seen for rental.

Mrs Stik and I took a 182 retrac to the Bahamas for a week and the guys were v helpful. Have not been back for a few years so who knows what you will find.

Stik

GoneWest
18th Aug 2002, 18:35
Try this link (http://www.airnav.com/airport/KFLL) for starters.

You may need to scroll down the page to find the FBO's and Aviation Services.

This is for "International" only - but you can, no doubt, link through to Exec and others.

rex
18th Aug 2002, 19:55
Thanks folks.

I'll have a chat with Mrs Rex. I don't want her to be left out when we are on holiday. But it's a nice idea though.
Mmmmmmmmm......

:)

REX

PS Mrs Rex is a whirly fan though. May have to bargain.:)

Keef
18th Aug 2002, 20:01
BEWARE! You need a visa to do any training in the USA. Don't book it up and go there without the visa - you could get turned back at the port of entry.