PDA

View Full Version : PPL Ground School equip.

Coke611
16th Aug 2002, 08:58
Hi guys. I am due to do my solo for my 16th birthday next July- and I was wondering what ground school stuff I will need. The stuff I currently have:
C152 checklist
CAP413
Trev. Thom book 1
Half mil VFR chart
Logbook

Anyone know what else?

dublinpilot
16th Aug 2002, 10:07
Protractor,
Ruler (for 500,000 chart)
Flight computer (not electronic)
Chinagraph pencils
Kneeboard
Probably will need other TT books...but better wait and see what your ground school recommond.

Grim Reaper 14
16th Aug 2002, 10:23
If it's your first actual solo, then you're gonna need to be in possession of a shiny new 'Air law' exam pass too.:)
You'll love it.

Hufty
16th Aug 2002, 11:18
I have a CRP-1 flight computer that I don't use now (I'm going commercial and have CRP-5) They sell at Pooleys for £37 these days but I'd be happy with a tenner if you want mine - it is in pretty good shape.

Having said that, if you are planning on taking this further then you may wish to start with the CRP-5 yourself! :)

flying snapper
16th Aug 2002, 14:50
You will also need to be in possession of a shiney new Medical Certificate available from your friendly Aviation Medical examiner at a cost of anything between £100 and £200. Or failing that if you are going for a NPPL then get your GP to sign a form for free (if you are lucky, as I was!)

Thom book 2 (Air Law) is also necessary together with a copy of the PPL Confuser..........and then there is book 3.......etc..

Maybe a visit to your friendly bank manager should be the first thing so that you have the dosh to pay for this habit.

I was once told "aviation is like a coke habit only you meet nicer people"

AerBabe
16th Aug 2002, 16:59
You'll also need some epuallettes and a pair of embroidered wings for afterwards ;)

Don't forget that by next July your half mil chart will be out of date. You may also prefer to use marker pens rather than chinagraph pencils, all down to personal choice!

EI_Sparks
16th Aug 2002, 17:33
And a full nomex flight suit, gloves and a helmet :)

Coke611
16th Aug 2002, 19:33
What are those nomex flight suits anyway? Just aviation suits?

TheKentishFledgling
16th Aug 2002, 20:58
What are those nomex flight suits anyway? Just aviation suits?

Ask 2Donkeys to explain all about Nomex flights suits :D ;)

tKF