PDA

View Full Version : Advice sought for Children in Aircraft

no sponsor
13th Aug 2002, 10:40
I'm due to take a friend and his two boys this weekend for a trip in a Warrior. One is six, the other four, and I am in a quandry as to where people would sit.

The six year old is currently odd on to sit with me in the front, and dad and his other boy in the rear.

Does anyone have an opinion as to the safety of the six year old up front with me?

My concern is:

- In the event of a forced landing, I would have to open the door (on the PAX side in the Warrior), which would distract me.

- Wandering hands and fingers, especially near the big red lever for fuel

I've chatted to the dad, (whom I know quite well - but not the boys) and he assures me the 6 year old is well behaved - especially if he is in the plane.

Anyone have any advice (or horror stories)

;)

sennadog
13th Aug 2002, 11:03
Zero experience of this at all but I would recommend that the ankle biters are located in the rear of the aircraft because:

It would be easier to instruct and get a result out of an adult on emergency procedures under pressure. What happens if the door is slightly jammed and needs some force?

In the event of a forced landing you'll have your work cut out anyway so you don't want to worry about having to open PAX side doors on top of all that.

I don't know for sure but wouldn't a child get a bit scared if you told it to open the door etc in an emergency?

As you said, wandering hands and all that!

Playing devil's advoacate here but if the child freaks out, surely it would be easier and safer to control in the back where there is less chance of anything being knocked?

Stick them in the back - that's my advice. There again, I have no kids and subscribe to the school of them being seen but not heard.:D

bcfc
13th Aug 2002, 11:11
Disagree with Sennadog

Have the 6 yr old in the front with Dad and 4 yr old in the back.

If 6 yr old freaks out, Dad can lean over and help - same with 4 yr old. If you have to force land, again, Dad can open the door from the back, make sure rugrats are strapped in before taking care of himself.

My 7 yr old is a tyke but behaves in the air. When we fly en famille, mum is in the back with 3 yr old rugrat with 7 yr old up front. She then does a lot of leaning over to check #1 son (in between heaves :eek: . Works very well with us.

You'd need to brief the dad thouroughly.

Have fun :)

sennadog
13th Aug 2002, 11:17
bcfc. That's great if you know the children and know that they'll behave but don't you see my point about emergency situations?

As for your wife, wouldn't sitting in the front help with her travel sickness as she can see the horizon better and hopefully keep the heaving down?

bcfc
13th Aug 2002, 11:32
Senna'

I do but before he/she leaves the ground, no sponsor will need to be content that said 6 yr old will behave. Otherwise surely its no go if he thinks there may be a problem.

Why I prefer my wife in the back is that she can then attend to both kids easily. If she were up the front, she'd have to lean around - even in the car its difficult. As to an emergency, I still think shes better placed to assist in the back. She'd hold the 4 yr old and also make sure all straps are tightened.

Granted, its not easy and there are pro's and cons. I just find this way is the best for us. Anyway, I do her a disservice, she doesn't always feel sick.

fu 24 950
13th Aug 2002, 13:51
Forget emergency situation's, wife inthe front and the kid's at home with the baby sitter. If they must go, sent them Fed ex over night.
Most kid's I have flown between 0 and 5 years fal a sleep in thr first 15 min's .

Elvis21
13th Aug 2002, 14:07
Agree with Sennadog,

If anything should happen do you want a six year old next to you with his dad trying to scramble over the seat and get the said kid out of the way, or do you want a responsible adult with you who would be able to deal with the situation better. Also, dad can just as easily turn round to sort the bratts out. Keep them in the back, you would do it in a car:)