PDA

View Full Version : Le Touquet ( again ... )

long final
12th Aug 2002, 19:10
Short Final and myself are off to Le Touquet tomorrow, and plan to fly the North coast of France to Jersey on Wednesday before dragging back to Blackpool. At very short notice, I am after some advise.

I haven’t been to France or Jersey ( flying myself that is ) before, and think I am ok re. Customs, etc. but would like some indication of any problems I might come across with this route. I have nothing definite in mind, just anything that I may have screamingly forgotten to consider. Anything would help. (Including any good recommendations for a hotel in Le T.)

Hope you can help.

Regards
LF

Keef
12th Aug 2002, 19:20
LFAT is no problem. Just make sure you file a flight plan, and that you have all the legally-required documents in the aircraft.

You have a finite chance of being "jumped" by the air police, who will check your C of A, C of R, Radio licence, etc etc etc. It's happened to me more than once, and is no big deal if all is in order.

Call Lille Info when you reach mid-channel, and be at a French VFR altitude (semicirculars plus 500 feet - so between 360 and 179, odd thousands plus 500, between 180 and 359, even thousands plus 500). Otherwise, you'll get a lecture.

They'll give you a squawk and probably ignore you till you're in range of Le Touq. They will then tell you to call LT Tower, and may tell you to squawk 7000 - or they may not.

Jersey is in Class A airspace, so you need to request SVFR clearance to go in. Not a problem if the vis is OK, but remember that without an IMC rating you need 10nm (if I remembered that right).

If I read the NOTAMS right, the ZIT and ZRT at Cap de la Hague have gone now - but it would be as well to check with Deauville Approach, or to avoid the area anyway if you're coming from LT.

Flap40
12th Aug 2002, 20:17
Can't help with LFAT hotels but Jersey is simple enough. Firstly don't forget to file a VFR flightplan. Jersey will then know you're coming and (weather permitting) clear you in SVFR (no real need to ask for it). The usual route would be Le Touq - DPE - Pont Normandie (huge bridge at the mouth of the Seine) - Normandy Landing Beaches - Lessay - southeast corner of Jersey. All Parking/Handling is now done at the Aeroclub. From memory the landing fee is £5 per half tonne which includes 7 days parking. The club can arrange hire cars at a lower price than is available direct from the operator.

The only real things to remember are to check the notams for Cap de La Hague (although the route from LFAT goes nowhere near) and that if you go direct to Jersey from the UK then you will need Special Branch clearance as well as customs.

Julian
12th Aug 2002, 20:27
When I flew to Jersey had to fax a form off to Special Branch before departure (think min 1hour!), so dont forget !!

Wycombe
12th Aug 2002, 21:08
If you don't need to be frugal, try "The Westminster" in Le2k - doubt very much you'll be disappointed.

long final
12th Aug 2002, 22:51
Thanks all, seems pretty straight forward :eek: the semi rule and paperwork I didn't know about. Shame that the website for Le T. seems to be down at the mo.

Regards
LF