PDA

View Full Version : Light Aircraft Crash

FuelFlow
10th Aug 2002, 16:10
Radio reports that a light aircraft crashed into the sea at Umlodti, on the Kwa-Zulu Natal north coast.

No more info available.

skyvan
10th Aug 2002, 16:37
Aircraft was a Zlin, not too sure of registration or model (single seater version) Pilot was Greg Manning, an SAA Training Captain.

RIP

Pontius' Pilot
11th Aug 2002, 07:37
Cheers my friend.

kiron hanuman
11th Aug 2002, 07:50
ZS - MLB

Aircraft was part of the MAZDA sponsored ZLIN aerobatic team ......

Sir Cumference
12th Aug 2002, 08:15
It appears that Greg was doing a test flight on the aircraft that had recently had some maintenance done. Reports are varied but it appears that the aircraft hit the water inverted. Greg was normally a very conservative and professional pilot, who knows what happened on Saturday, but we lost a very good pilot and friend.

So long Greg, RIP!

Gunship
13th Aug 2002, 00:13
Cheers Greg .. you where one of the most professional pilot's I have ever met and seen operating in my Airforce career and afterwards.

Craig - we are thinking of you my friend. Our condolences to you and the family.

Can anybody mail me Craig's (his brother) new address at Mauritius ? I still seem to have the SA (Comair one).

Cheers Greg - RIP

4HolerPoler
13th Aug 2002, 23:27
Sad news indeed.

Always the gentleman and the professional - we'll miss you Greg.

The only consolation is that Greg went doing what he lived for; but well before his time.

Thoughts & condolences to Craig & family.

4Holer

Gunship
14th Aug 2002, 07:43
Sorry I know it is a bit late but here is a bit more detail of this tragedy :
SAA pilot killed in aerobatics plane crash

By Monica Laganparsad

A pilot who worked for South African Airways was killed on Saturday when the aerobatics plane he was flying crashed into the ocean at Umdloti Beach.

Greg Manning, 42, was an experienced pilot who had just been promoted to training captain of a Boeing 737.

According to witness Graham Manning (no relation), the plane was flying at low levels when it suddenly dropped from the sky.

'it jerked, dropped from the sky, hit the water and sank'
"He flew around and then suddenly it jerked, dropped from the sky, hit the water and sank straight to the bottom," he said.

Police Inspector Michael Read said Manning had left Virginia Airport just after 10am.

"Search and Rescue have recovered the wreckage, the pilot's licence and his watch. The plane crashed offshore just beyond the breakers. At this stage we don't know what happened; there was no distress call."

Five minutes before Manning took off from Virginia Airport, trainee pilot Nesahv Nirmal, 18, was in a plane beside him. He was getting into the Zlin 50, which is an aerobatics plane.

"I didn't know him personally but I knew of him. He was a very experienced pilot. I think I was the last person to see him alive. It's a little hair-raising.

'He waved before he took off'
"We were both waiting to take off at the same time and I could see him in the cockpit. He waved before he took off."

Police divers, Search and Rescue and the National Sea Rescue Institute searched for hours for the wreckage and Manning's body.

Commander of Search and Rescue, Troy Allison, said the wreckage was found at a depth of 12m.

"We found the engine, then the tailpiece and then the body of the pilot. The wreckage and body were found about 35 metres from the engine.

"The conditions made it difficult and prolonged the recovery."

Investigators from the Civil Aviation Authority, based in Pretoria, flew to Durban on Saturday to investigate the circumstances.

Speaking for the Aviation Authority, Trevor Davids said: "We are unaware of the exact cause of the crash. We have eyewitness reports that will form part of the investigation."

Sir Cumference
15th Aug 2002, 12:54
This is a very strange set of circumstances. The aircraft was seen to be flying straight and level at about 200' when it slowly rolled and went into the sea. It appears that the impact with the sea was near vertical. Prop blades were all sheared off equally on impact with the ocean which seems to negate speculation that a prop failure of sorts was the cause. The aircraft absolutely disintegrated upon impact, confirmatuion of high speed impact. There was a suggestion of a failure and an attempted ditching. Given Greg's general conservatism, the questions continue!

18th Aug 2002, 01:08
Sad news indeed. Sincerest condolences to all of the family. Our thoughts are with you Craig.