PDA

View Full Version : What makes you feel better after "thanks but no thank!"??

FloatJockey
7th Aug 2002, 02:23
I have been on PpruNe for a little while now and I had the chance to observe a lot of different reactions to "thanks but no thanks" letters... We all know how disappointing it can be... :rolleyes: I had my slice of cake as well.

HEY! SMILE! GREEN IS THE COLOR OF HOPE!!
---------------------------------------------------------

Why don't we talk about how we get over it here! How to accept the "rejection" and rebuild motivation! I'd like to know what you guys/girls do in order to recover from the bad news... maybe we can have a giggle about ourselves and put a smile on PPruNers' faces!

A girlfriend of mine, after a rejection from A.A., went for a swim! Well, I guess it works for her..........
Honestly, I become completely pathetic! I whinge for a while (reeeeally??), send messages to all my friends, go shopping, eat loads of chocolate and enjoy a good drop! I fully get over it (after a good hangover...) once I start "attacking" other airlines with my bloody resume! I bet most of them can't stand me anymore! :D :p :D

Sooooo............. what do YOU do????

Mrs. FloatJockey
---------------------------------------------------------------------
If you read and don't post, you know what you are!! :p

Airtart
7th Aug 2002, 03:19
Vodka Darl !!!! and lots of it !!!!
After flying for a 'quite' a few years with Ansett and been rejected by Qantas/MAM, Australian, (and also rejected by VB I think, seeing that they haven't bothered to reply to me,first Resume sent in April,)I'm still passionate and determined (!) to get my wings back goddamm it !!!!
It takes me about a day or two at the most to stop feeling sorry for my self and become more determined to get back in the sky.
So it's lying around the house, starting with breakfast of chocolate, and watching Foxtel , progressing to Vodka by dinner time.
Trust me, after doing that for up to two days , I'm very ready to get over the dissapointment.
The only bad side affect is I put a couple of kilos with every reject letter!! Do you think I could sue for that ?

smile
7th Aug 2002, 07:59
Hi Floaty,

My rejection therapy went a little like this..... After the initial 'soaking in' period, I would become very determined to pick apart my interviews piece by piece until I had analysed every word, movement, gesture etc. Then I would start to plan my next interview- right down to the way I would sit in the seat!!!

To be perfectly honest I didn't plan my interview with Virgin other than a bit of research on the company and a good understanding of the company culture. I'm guessing that I came across a little more relaxed and actually enjoyed myself. Maybe that is what won out in the end?!?!?!

But in the end you forget about all the rejection when that '"we would like you to offer you a position with (insert airline name here)'" call/ letter finally arrives!!!

Don't stock up on too much chocolate-- your day is just around the corner-- I can feel it!!!

love SMILE

airborne1
7th Aug 2002, 08:30
Well first I pick myself to pieces..wondering what is wrong with me...then I convince myself it is their loss..then I work on my new strategy for next time..not letting them get the better of me or destroy my dream....than I go in full attack next time...and low and behold..end up with 3 offers!!!

Dont ever let the no get the better of you...learn from it...evaluate what you could have done better and know practise makes perfect and when the timing is right it will happen.

Once you have done a couple of airline interviews you relax that little bit more the next time round...your extectations arent so high and you know all the questions they are going to ask.

A few cursing words - to get it out of your system, pampering yourself afterwards works wonders..and a few drinksreally with your best buddies cheers you up too.

All the best....

flying_fox
7th Aug 2002, 08:56
Hi Mrs Floatjockey

So sorry to hear about Australian.

I did post this message for you on another topic, but it faded off the home page fairly quickly, you probably missed it. I really felt for you when you mentioned that you were unsuccessful with your last application. I have just done a quick cut and paste and redirected it here for you......

If you dont give up you will get there. Most FA's that I know have a long line of failed interview processes behind them before finally receiving that almighty "Yes" letter. I know I had several attempts.........

I found that I would always get to the third interview and then mess it up. In hindsight, I probably had the interview in the bag and then I would say just that little bit too much and would have "talked my way out of the job"!

I will suggest to you what a great friend did for me. That is to go and do an interview course of some desccription. I had all of the right attributes but just could not bring them across sucessfully in that final interview. I went and did one and it really helped. (It also gave me some self-confidence back - after a few knockbacks it tends to be a little battered and bruised.) This sort of professional help can pinpoint for you exactly where you are going wrong. Beleive me, it is probably something oh so slight that you may be saying or doing that is holding you back!

My very next application led to employment as a Flight Attendant.

The trick is to learn something from each failure, keep focused and never give up. You WILL eventually get there. It is obvious that you will - because you keep getting so far into the interview process each time!

All the best,

Foxy.

PS Try the Qantas regionals (alotta hard work - but many plus's!) PPS Life can be a bit cruel at times - but, it is just when you are about to give it all up (because you feel you have given it all you can) things work out. You're nearly there, just keep pushing forward with that same passion for what you want.

cabinboy
7th Aug 2002, 09:54
Like you smile I use to spend many nights agonising over what I could have or couldn't have done better in the interview - why me ! why can't I get a job offer !

I would sulk for about a day, then start madly sending out resumes again to every airline that I thought I could have a chance with. Actually, I have a manilla folder that I have kept since I was 13 years of age with full of all the letters I have received from the airlines since I was a young kid wanting to be a flight attendant. I use to write to them and tell them how I wanted to be a Qantas/Ansett/Australian/Compass flight attendant and they used to send info and nice replies back.....it was these letters that I use to look at over and over after a rekection letter to keep me motivated - tacky maybe ? but for me it worked, knowing that it was a challenge that I was not going to give up on.

I have always said - " chase your dreams and don't let anyone get in your way "

I've been blessed to be employed by a QF regional now and let me tell you that all the hassle was definetley worth it.

Keep Smiling
Cabinboy

smile
7th Aug 2002, 10:07
wow Cabinboy-- I didn't know that your interest in flying started at such a young age!!!!

penny_benjamin
7th Aug 2002, 22:56
Luv,
Since I was old enough to start applying for the dream, when the min. age was 21 ! I have gone thru six mths on. six mths off of applying.
After trying so hard to make the resume perfect and then getting through interviews, I could not understand what was wrong with me...I had the passion, the determination.
I have had jobs that cover customer service, food and beverage, I covered every base and every condition I needed to get in, but wasn't getting anywhere.
Then I met a lovely lady in Melb, who has had unlimited experience in the avaition industry and she put me on the better path. Set up my resume, went thru interview questions with me. I even asked her if I was wasting my time and she didn't think I was right for that career that she should tell me and let me get over it!
But she was confident that I had the personality and experience to make it... After each rejection I gave up for six mths and prolly missed heaps of opportunities but my confidence was shot. In the big scheme of things I believe that **** happens for a reason, so the last time i went to interviews I was determined to pump up the confidence. I did all the study on every aspect of the airline and was ready to rock! I have never felt so confident with an interview but I prayed that my instincts were right and I had a good feeling... I got accepted and I cried. It was the best moment of my life...I took the big step of leaving family and friends to "chase the dream" and I'm living it baby!!!
Just goes to show, you should never give up...If you want ur dream so badly, you won't let anyone stand in ur way. It took me eight years but I made it.
Good luck everyone...

happyrainbow
13th Aug 2002, 01:53
Swim, go to the Gym, stay focused on what you want, be positive instead of negative. Hello My name is Happyrainbow, and im new to this forum. I think you really have to keep going, i have been rejected many times, and im still very focused on what i want.

Shadowpurser
13th Aug 2002, 09:10
After getting rejected from Virgin after getting through to the uniform trying on stage and the panel interview - and then telling them I didn't like the uniform!!! (ok in hindsight there lies my mistake - but I'm a guy who likes to speak his mind!)

I then applied to BA and got in first time and have to say am must better off for it.

So my advice apply to the next one there's alwats something better around the corner and stuff the last lot for missing out on the best damn F/A they could have had!:D

moosey
16th Aug 2002, 19:59
Spooky ShadowP that's exactly what happened to me. I never thought that I would get BA but I did.
So keep trying and keep smiling.

flightbunny
17th Aug 2002, 02:37
hi,

i say eat some ice cream:) then get back to it!!!! well that is what i've done!!! just love that saralee cookies and fudge icecream..yum!!!!!!:D ;)[COLOR=crimson]

A300Man
17th Aug 2002, 18:41
Large Tanqueray and Tonic

aviatorgirl72
18th Aug 2002, 04:38
Yep, you've just got to keep trying, and never lose sight of your dream.

Unfortunately, some of the selectors at the interviews are bitter and twisted, and love to play god with your hopes and dreams.

I know someone who went for BA three times, on her third occasion, at the end of the interview, they said, well we'll see you in training. She didn't get the job. So there are some weird people out there.

But that wouldn't deter me, I'd still keep trying.

But you know what, stuff them, and and as many of you have said, there is always something better around the corner, and they are the ones that have lost out.

But I do believe that if you really want it, just keep trying.

Some of these airlines, do have a policy that you cant re-apply within 6 months to a year. Well, then you re-apply using your middle name first. Know lots of people who did this at BA.

Dont be defeated and keep trying.

:) ;) :)

FloatJockey
19th Aug 2002, 05:59
Just wanted to come back for a quick THANK YOU GUYS/GIRLS! All your answers are highly appreciated!

It took me an entire month and a lot of greassy food to get over the Australian Airlines rejection! It is kind of hard to see your friends leaving home and getting organized for the trip to Cairns... (after they turned down a job offer with MAM or VB) while you're home because... because you think you probabily sukk compared to them! (at least that's what the first reaction was...). :(

Now I know what I did wrong: I failed to show them I am THE best candidate for the job!! Funny, 'coz I really AM what they are looking for! I just failed to show them! I started on the wrong foot, making statements about when to reapply if I was not to make it! Asking when I could have some time off to see my husband if he was not to relocate with me... how stupid!
I forgot to tell them about my motivation, the work and the research I've done during the previous month and how much I prepared myself! I completely avoided telling them how much I'd love to learn Japanese and discover new cultures! I forgot to tell them I've read a few books about Japan, I spoke to asian people on the street asking them about their culture, their traditions...
I even started eating sushi and sashimi!!!... :D I reached the peak of my madness the day before the interview: I had a manicure in chinatown and harassed that poor girl (from Tokyo) until she told me everything about home... :rolleyes:

I guess I should re-apply! ;) ;) ;)

Mrs. FloatJockey

flightbunny
19th Aug 2002, 06:08
mrs fj,

your a classic....just keep trying, they'll see how great u r...even if it takes a few more tries...:)

actually u know what beats sara lee cookies and fudge, cadbury choc chip ice cream with nutella, hunderds of 1000's, ice magic and cream....yum.....its a diabetics worst night mare!!!!!!:) :D ;)

FloatJockey
19th Aug 2002, 06:09
Flightbunny! Sara-Lee cookies and fudge ice cream rocks!
Try Sara-Lee baby brownies (the movie pack): the mignons are coated with chocolate! You can eat them watching a DVD with the cat on your laps... I even enjoy them with VB!!!!....:D

Tanqueray and tonic? Mmmh... can't have that 30 days in a row... :D :p I'm more of a chocolate girl....