View Full Version : Jerez - October course latest?
3rd Aug 2001, 16:38
Whats the latest with regard to course availability for self-funders at Jerez, on 1st & 29th October??
Who's got their deposits in, and for which dates?
Just got off the phone to Mary Jo, who is off on Holiday for 2 weeks today!!!! She said that the 'airline' has the places available to them and will not know for sure as to whether they will be coming in Oct 1st or Oct 29th till after 20th August, so by the end of the month we will know if there r anymore spaces, failing that there r places on the 29th available for those of us who haven't got out deposits in and been accepted......... So looks like i will be going on 29th now (if I passed my medical). She wouldn't tell me which airline though....
So will wait till she gets back, though the application forms are being processed while she is away and they will contact us as to who gets what place......
A not so Happy Wor :(
Mary Jo rang me yesterday to offer me a place on the October 1st course. Strange in a way because technically they still don't have my deposit but there we go! Would not surprise me if I get booted onto the 29th course though. We'll see.
Let's keep each other posted.
4th Aug 2001, 19:55
Have you signed and returned your contract yet?
No - not as yet. Recieved it via e-mail and the 'official' copy will be arriving by post. I will sign and return that.
8th Aug 2001, 22:24
I'm waiting to hear what this airline is hoping to do too.... although I think I'm down on the 1st, it's just a waiting game.
Just got back from a visit down there -- very impressed with the facilities. All a bit of a flying visit (no pun intended! :D) mainly because we underestimated Monday morning traffic between Puerto Santa Maria and the airport.
Incidentally, one of my two travelling mates (well.... we had to spend a couple of days in Fuengirola, didn't we!!) took some photos of the college... probably best if you ignore the captions though!! :rolleyes:
Here's the URL: Jerez photos (http://www.squat.com/gbo/flying/flying.html)
Will let you guys know on here as soon as I get any information on the mystery airline.... would obviously appreciate you doing likewise..!
Hope to see ya soon! :)
Just sent off my deposit and signed contract. Must sit and wait to hear from them now! :)
One thing I thought may be of some interest to those of us looking to go to Jerez, the course has to be paid in Euros right? Well, the Euro has been weakening against the £ for some time now so therefore, I am changing all my pounds for the entire course into Euros ASAP to aviod problems later on if the Euro goes seriously tits against the £.
It will not be long before we get 1.59Euros for our pound if the current trend continues - it was not too many weeks ago we were looking at an exchange of 1.64Euros. With the course cost set at 80'453Euros that makes a difference of roughly £1550. Buy a few San Miguels for that me thinks!
The bank manager agreed it was a wise move to get it all converted in one go now rather than in stages when the later payments are due.
What are your thoughts on this folks?
Just checked BBC Ceefax and it's now 1.5974Euros to the pound. That makes the total cost of the course £50'364. :eek:
It's fallen -.0119 so far today.
[ 09 August 2001: Message edited by: VFE ]
Just to let you know that I was a Foreign Exchange dealer for a bank in the city, and used to trade the pound against the Euro!!!The EURO is not weakening, its strengthening, or you could look at it as the Pound is weakening, either way the view that you are taking VFE is that over the next year it will continue to do so, its as much a gamble as going the other way, Euro is in a recession, or at least is further down the line than us, personally I don't feel that the euro will continue to strengthen so would not do as your bank manager has suggested unless you want to lock yourself in to a fixed cost you will be paying over the next year. What happens if it goes the other way next week, then you will have just paid alot more for the course than you would have had too....... Its a just a gamble with about £50,000 heads, tails or accept the price today (safe)...... have fun.... Why not convert 50% then you hedge your risk !!!
Wor - Once a gambler always a gambler :)
Wee Weasley Welshman
9th Aug 2001, 22:08
This time last year I was teaching students who had paid £44k. This was pre price rise associated with the longer course duration and Euro was circa 1.60 to the pound...
You didn't want to hear that did you...?
Doesn't matter - its still cheap.
Wee Weasley Welshman
9th Aug 2001, 22:12
Just looked at the picture - you've made me very homesick as I look outside at the torrential rain...
I was most concerned to see my ex-student (you called Shirley Knot) in the Right Hand Seat...
Good luck with the course and be sure to buy me a beer when I pass by...
Spot on about the playing safe option. Not being a financial man I would be foolish to try and play the market/ take the gamble or whatever you call it.
It will at least give me peace of mind if I change it all now. I may be paying more on interest on the loan but hey....that's the price!
Cheers for the info, nice to know we have someone around who knows what he's talking about when it comes to this Euro/£ lark! ;)
10th Aug 2001, 03:42
I did say take the captions with a pinch of salt!! ;)
I'm sure there are a load of people on the PPRuNe who'd be only too glad to shout you a San Mig or two... be sure to let us (hopefully I'm gonna be part of the Jerez "us" soon!!) know when you're in the area! :cool: