PDA

View Full Version : Cross Training

WetFeet
5th Aug 2002, 09:46
An issue that needs tackling now is that of ATCO's posted straight off their cadet course to Oceanic. Nothing wrong with the Ocean, it's a busy unit, but these guys and gals are not getting the opportunity to validate their radar licences ten years later, despite being promised by the then GM it would happen within 5 years.

I know management have logistical difficulties but by not allowing these people to use the licence that NATS spent Łks training them for, them they are becoming a resource that is becoming immoveable, as well as extremely disenchanted.

We need to see a major push to get these people properly utilised, now!!!!!!!!

tug3
5th Aug 2002, 12:02
Move to NERC! Xtra bods are always welcome and the weather is better if nothing else!!! (Same can't be said for house prices though!)

Rgds
T3

professor yaffle
5th Aug 2002, 18:16
out of interest do these guys have to do an assessment prior to going on to radar after a few years on the ocean, in order to determine whether another area radar course or a refresher course is needed?
or are they just posted?

cheers

prof

BillyBoy
5th Aug 2002, 20:23
As far as I am aware they are just posted into airways, There should, at least, be some sort of refresher course before the IVC. Being out of a radar environment for years and then having to attempt TMA or Antrim. :mad:

professor yaffle
6th Aug 2002, 11:35
ta!

prof

fish food
6th Aug 2002, 11:56
BB - Quite correct:

It is possible to have spent 8 (+) years at Oceanic, (never having sat at a radar sector since 'pre Area II Famil' whilst at CATC), and then be placed on the same IVC, (Initial Validation Course), at ScOACC with someone who has spent 3 years at LATCC/LACC chalking up some 300+ hours of live training and who has only just failed their validation board! The Oceanic bod will be expected to achieve the same standard as the LATCC/LACC "re-tread", having had only 'limited' radar experience whilst holding to await their IVC. ('limited' due to school pupils on 'work experience', CATC Students and "live" trainees taking priority where opportunities to 'plug-in' are concerned)

And ScOACC 'management' wonder why Ocean - Airways cross training has such a poor success rate?

:mad:

BillyBoy
6th Aug 2002, 15:42
FF,

I have always said, give the cross trainees from the ocean a 10 west sector interface i.e Southwest/Central ( I believe there is no Dean Cross included now ) to give them the best chance of validating. :) :) They should have a head start on certain proceedures ect. To give them a sector grouping that involves alot of radar work ect is just not on:mad: :mad: i.e TMA or Antrim

BillyBoy
6th Aug 2002, 20:21
Couldn't agree more.

fish food
7th Aug 2002, 14:20
ditto

:)