PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Wannabees-Cost of getting your African Licence

Flying Bean
4th Aug 2002, 17:24
Having just done the following costing for a foreign pilot - I thought others may be interested (and warned).
This applies to a foreign CPL pilot (low time)coming to Zambia. It would probably apply pretty much to Botswana,Zimbabwe,Kenya & Malawi.
Validation of Foreign CPL (90 days) $130
Zambian Medical (annual) $60
2 x writen exams $50
Flight Test (Examiner & DCA fees) $250
Issue of Zambian CPL $130
Issue of Radio Licence $100

All the above assumes you already have the aircraft rating you are going to fly on your Foriegn CPL. Zambia wil accept all the ratings you have on your original licence.

If you are going to fly a C210, for example, they would require 5 hours on type (not just the conversion). This would be about $300 per hour incl instructor.
:eek:

B Sousa
5th Aug 2002, 00:20
I see all the fees have that famous>>>>$$<<<<<< sign. Certainly those numbers should be in Kwatcha.....

Cardinal Puff
5th Aug 2002, 12:44
Kwacha? You gotta be kidding, Bert.

A few years back I had the misfortune to deal with the Zambian authorities and on requesting a copy of their regulations regarding aviation I was given (for a fee), after much tongue clicking and head shaking, a copy. It looked pretty old and when I enquired as to it's validity they said everything was in order.

The fines for various offences ranged from K10-00 to K50-00 which at the time was around US$0-01 to US$0-05 so obviously something was not right. Of course any actual prices were immediately changed to US$ when I asked about the fees listed.

The actual job was passed up and I returned home as I just couldn't be bothered to jump through the hoops for the salary offered. In retrospect not such a smart move as it would have been a great experience.

shenzi_rubani_HTAR
8th Aug 2002, 16:02
don't forget your bribe/school fees/my uncle is sick fees/baby needs a new pair of shoes/soda fees/backsheesh

rick1128
10th Aug 2002, 21:45
It could be worse. It could be Zaire (Congo), Central African Republic or Angola. Cardinal, I spent a year in Angola. It's not a job, it 's an everloving F***ing adventure.

AMEX
11th Aug 2002, 02:45
As for Botswana, it didn't cost me a penny since companies tend to pay for it....
Residency= $0
Work Permit=$0
Air Law=$0
Flight test=$0
---------
Total 000000

(1996-1997)

Cardinal Puff
12th Aug 2002, 10:58
Rick...

Angolsch? Don't talk to me about Angolsch. The amount of skullduggery in Africa is insane. I was thinking about writing a book when I retire but it'll have to go into the fiction section. Absolutely no one will believe the amount and various flavours of crap you have to eat to achieve anything in this place. Wouldn't change it for the world, though.....

Gotta be crazy, me.....

4144r
12th Aug 2002, 21:56
About Zambian validation: as far I know
$50 for 90 days (2001-2002)
written test,airlaws,medical,etc...you don't need!
about Zambian rating:
If you have at least 1h on type on your logbook, it's done. Don't need any expensive check on local airplane.

Again,perhaps some guys want to make some bucks on low time pilots!
Safe flight.

GUSTO
13th Aug 2002, 07:42
In Zambia , operators spend 0$ on pilots licence , rating and anything else , exept one company run by an airline pilot who understands pilots.

Like 4144r I strongly believe that some of the operators are making $ on the back of pilots who need a job.

A validation of an ICAO licence is $50 and valid for 3 months , you can get maximum 3 validations so 9 months and then if you want to get a full licence you will have to write the airlaw and do a flight test .

In Kenya it is totally different !

Low time pilots , be careful a lot of sharks post messages on Pprune not to help pilots but to take their Bucks !!:mad:

Gusto

Flying Bean
14th Aug 2002, 05:40
Gusto & 414

After a specific request by a New Zealand Pilot I had a meeting with DCA Zambia 3 weeks ago and these were the figures I was given. They agree with what has been charged in the last 12 months. I don't quite see how a OPERATOR is "making bucks" out of these charges.
Yes, you can get 3 x validations and fly for the season without having to get a Zambian licence, but then you are limited to the ratings you have on your foreign license. You are also limiting the time you can actually work in Zambia. (See next point)
With regard to companies paying for their pilots licenses & validations I would be most interested to here from other operators. If pilots only want to work the season (6 months) I would be suprised if companies would pay these costs. A 2 year contract would be a different case.
DCA was alos quite firm about wanting 5 hours for a new rating on the license.
There has been a considerable tightening up in Zambia in the last 18 months on Work permits and Licensing.

4144r
14th Aug 2002, 21:39
M. Bean
You are right! Big difference between a pilot for the season and a 2 years contract pilot.
But wich pilot want to stay during the low season (october to may) without salary.
Most of operators in Zambia (except one) pay per kilometer....
and is it too expensive for an operator to pay $50 for their pilot licence?
My actual company pay for my licence,medical,rating,etc...and I am still in Africa.
Zambia's operators are so poor? or they want to make more bucks?
Safe Flight.

Flying Bean
2nd Sep 2002, 05:13
Yes but that is my point. If it was just $50 then it would not be a problem, but its a lot more.
Anyway with the new regs everyone now has to do the full proceedure so its getting tougher all round.