View Full Version : What Martial Arts forms have you practised?

Celtic Emerald
1st Aug 2002, 17:34
Well from someone who used to live, breathe & eat martial arts in my youth (a distant memory) & since we're big into these kinda threads at the mo I thought I'd start me own.

Well I tried everything, shotokan, kenpo, kung fu, even some Malaysian style, I decided after accidentally landing me boyfriend in hospital with a kick done on reflex action (well I thought he was trying to steal me waterbottle from me bike) & nearly strangling my judo fanatic best friend (well no-one told me that banging on the floor mean't release the stranglehold) to take up a gentle, more non violent, less damaging style.

Akido sounded good :) A self defense style that didn't hurt the opponent, (sort of in with the ying & yang kinda thing) so off I went to me first class run by an over the top yank (surprise surprise). :rolleyes: We'se were all armed with these long sticks with which the rest of the class proceeded to launch into some kind of routine going in all four directions with their sticks pointed out menacingly directly infront of them, chanting some weird Oriental dialect at the same time. Eejit here who hadn't a clue found herself going in the opposite direction to the rest of the class most of the time chanting anything that sounded vagely Oriental.

"Wang, chang, lang, ru" etc

Well it sounded good!

I gave up the Oriental Arts after that :(

Emerald

Bleedin hell! I've ended up becoming a friggin matchmaker now! :eek:

ORAC
1st Aug 2002, 17:46
The great lancastrian martial art of Ecky Thump! Fought with traditional black puddings. :D

EI_Sparks
1st Aug 2002, 17:49
Trained in Aikido for four or five years - gave it up after a training accident where I broke a friends shoulder and wound up
sitting in A&E with his parents for an hour waiting on X-rays...
Whomever told you Aikido doesn't hurt the other guy lied through his teeth :)
I mean, in shotokan you hit him with your foot or fist, in escrima you belt him with a stick, but in Aikido, you use
the soddin' planet :D

Hmmm. CE, you're from Dublin ... this dojo wasn't off Pearse St. was it?

Celtic Emerald
1st Aug 2002, 17:54
No mate, Blackrock & I just want to forget about it. Too ott for me. Ta! :rolleyes:

Whats escrima? It must be a style that came about after I left the scene?

Emerald

EI_Sparks
1st Aug 2002, 18:11
Blackrock? Ah, you got off light - you should have trained with Sensei Rogers - now that was tough training :D
(Sorry, had to say that! It's not often I get the chance to portray myself as a hard b*****d, since people
normally think chocolate brownie cooking isn't a macho skill :D )

Escrima uses a pair of sticks (one per hand), or knives. A bit esoteric and too violent for me - I gave up on the
whole "beat-em-up" scene a while back :)
Now I'm happy with cookery, figuring out how to pay for my PPL and being on the national target shooting squad.

:D

Mac the Knife
1st Aug 2002, 18:41
Full-contact Scrabble

MMEMatty
1st Aug 2002, 18:48
I always fancied learning Krav Maga (sp?) but could never find anywhere oop north that did it :(

macky42
1st Aug 2002, 19:07
Kendo and Iaido for a while, but gave up through sheer laziness:(

PS my dad lives in Blackrock:)

Brenoch
1st Aug 2002, 19:17
Kyokushin Kai for a bit, now I just wrestle with women.. :D

Brizzo
1st Aug 2002, 19:21
Marriage

Twice

Brenoch
1st Aug 2002, 19:24
LOL, you crack me up.. :D

----***CRACK***----

tony draper
1st Aug 2002, 19:38
Smith@<hidden> Wesson:rolleyes:

fantom
1st Aug 2002, 20:35
brizzo

if you think marriage is bad, try divorce.

:(

Brenoch
1st Aug 2002, 20:49
Well, if he/she practiced marriage twice I'm sure he/she must also have tried out divorce..

Captain Stable
1st Aug 2002, 20:51
Kendo

con-pilot
1st Aug 2002, 21:01
Mr. D. as usual you beat me to it.

Davaar
1st Aug 2002, 21:08
Tae Kwon Do. Went to encourage Miss Davaar. She was 6. Davaar was 54. Had "testing". Davaar had envisaged prancing around a quiet room demonstrating the moves (Poums, as we call them in the trade), but in fact was matched against a stripling in his early 40s. No one had mentioned the crowd of 500 baying for blood. Main lesson, watch out for the Grade 9 girls; they are made of elastic and will clock you in the teeth with the side of a foot in a split second (and split lip). Progressed to orange belt (not very high, you may say, but if you want to sneer, have a go yourself). Miss Davaar is now a black belt, instructor.

Quaff
1st Aug 2002, 21:22
Well, I practice with the Deluxe High Speed….

Oops – misread the title of the thread. :D

redsnail
1st Aug 2002, 22:04
Goshin Ryu karate for a few years.
Free style Tae Kwon Do for a few years.
Mua thai kickboxing for about a year.

nosefirsteverytime
1st Aug 2002, 22:53
Karate Irusu Kai (I think, summat like that.) yellow belt level. Gave it up in May, may be going back in September.

Though everyone told me, when sparring, I should be a boxer (me arms are too thin for that!:rolleyes: )

ShyTorque
1st Aug 2002, 23:41
Oduj, Odnawkiat and Ustijuj.

Very similar to other martial arts but modified because military training always recommended sneak attacks from the rear.

Just in case that doesn't work always get a colleague to back you up with Nug enihcam gib ydoolb.

bugg smasher
2nd Aug 2002, 00:17
Now trying to give up cigarettes, one week so far, approach me at your mortal frickin' peril.

haole
2nd Aug 2002, 02:32
ker-gun.

Whirlybird
2nd Aug 2002, 08:33
Aged 10, got sent to a judo class along with my brother and two cousins - my dad and uncle thought kids should be able to defend themselves. The three lads gave it up, while I got hooked (I only do things 300% or not at all). Aged about 19, having been in my university team and won a medal, I got bored and gave it up.

A few years ago, worried about how unfit I was and bored with aerobics and the gym, I tried karate. My body still remembered how to fall, and old skills came back, totally freaking out an instructor known for his tough attitude:
Instructor to the brown belt who was happily throwing me round the room: "Be careful; she's a lady"
Brown Belt: "She's a WHAT?!?"
Me: "Don't worry; I'm not made of glass"
His face was a picture. :D

I got tired of the bruises, and thought I'd try Tai Chi. That didn't last, can't remember why....

Oh yes, I discovered flying......

SpinSpinSugar
2nd Aug 2002, 09:14
Tae Kwon Do and Kickboxing.

Just about to restart the latter, I think it may hurt.

PFLsAgain
2nd Aug 2002, 09:21
Tae Kwon Do for four years. Made it to red belt. Then one day the instructor bu66ered off and was never seen again. No-one liked to go after him. After all he was a fifth dan!

It turned out to be a useful skill when I once kicked the living daylights out of a stroppy PhD student in the lab. :D

Konkordski
2nd Aug 2002, 09:24
Origami 3rd Dan, that's me.

Last mugger who tried it on ended up as a Hooded Crane (perched).

Charlie Foxtrot India
2nd Aug 2002, 10:43
Wado Ryu, Shotokan and Aikido

Aikido looks all graceful and nice but is more to do with using your opponent's momentum to break their joints. ker-unch.
Shotokan was cool but no-one does it around here.

EI_Sparks
2nd Aug 2002, 11:11
CFI:
Aikido looks all graceful and nice but is more to do with using your opponent's momentum to break their joints. ker-unch.

Yup. I remember that.
(he said, thoughtfully rubbing his left knee - which now gives out weather reports :( )

Biggles Flies Undone
2nd Aug 2002, 11:17
Tang Soo Do, Jiu Jitsu and Aikido. Jiu Jitsu was by far the toughest and most relevant to everyday situations - just wish I'd tried it when I was younger and better able to handle the knocks. Packed it up after the third fracture :(

Celtic Emerald
2nd Aug 2002, 11:41
From what I recall the stances adopted in Shotokan were so low that it really wasn't the most practical style to learn for street defense unless one walks around bandy legged. Kenpo with a straighter stance I felt was the more practical of the two but to be honest with you every instructor I trained on felt their style was the best. I liked Kung Fu but they'd take yonks before they'd let you sparr :(

So that's what happened to me knees, I thought it was all the falls of the bike! ;)

Emerald