PDA

View Full Version : NATS security check

thparkth
1st Aug 2002, 13:54
I'm seriously considering applying to become a trainee ATC with NATS. The only thing that concerns me is the security check they presumably carry out. Does anyone know what this involves? Specifically, what kind of thing would "fail" it?

I don't have a criminal record, and I'm not an IRA member or anything of that type. What I do have is a significant debt from a failed business venture which I've been paying off in a formal arrangement.

Does anyone know if this is likely to cause me any problems with getting security clearance? I currently work on a security cleared basis for a nuclear operator and it hasn't been an issue here - but if it would be a bar to an ATC career for me I'd rather know sooner than later.

Cheers,

Andrew

goatgruff
1st Aug 2002, 14:06
You will be thoroughly vetted using the government based system, but this is a formal process which everyone, (knowingly or not!) undergoes when they join any government run organisation.

Don't worry about your financial misfortune, you obviously have it under control, when you actually escape from the CATC sausage factory with a licence, you'll find out what a bunch of rogues us atco's really are!;) :p

The important thing is to be totally honest in your application, if you're asked to put it in writing, do so. The one thing that will end your career before it's begun is putting porkies on paper.

Good Luck. :)

Numpo-Nigit
1st Aug 2002, 16:36
"a failed business venture" - that will probably get you a seat on the board !!!

Loki
1st Aug 2002, 18:13
Numpo beat me to it!

If you manage to find a way of blaming the business failure on September 11th, you should have no problems. After all thats what our lot have been doing long and obscenely loud.

WINTERMUTE
6th Aug 2002, 14:04
The "security clearance" for NATS involves the lowest level of checks available. (It's called a Counter Terrorist check).

Unlike higher forms of vetting this check should not look into your finances, but will simply check your name is not on any databases of nasty terrorist types compiled by the security services.

Unless you are hiding a penchance for semtex, tell NATS as little as you feel you have to about your finances(since it is really none of their business) BUT DON'T LIE - BE ECONOMICAL WITH THE TRUTH

:D