PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Crew to Flight Deck

Tee
31st Jul 2002, 20:01
Just wondering, out of idle curiosity, how many cabin crew members become pilots? I've met quite a few, male and female, during my flying training. For those who have done it, what are the advantages and disadvantages of moving up front?

BAcrew
13th Aug 2002, 17:58
That's an interesting question! My answer would be: becoming a pilot is great if that's what you want to do. Otherwise it's a lot of training, and a lot of money.

The advantages: you get to fly the aircraft. You already will know if that's for you.

Blighty Pilot
16th Aug 2002, 18:39
I already have my CPL but I am presently cabin crew as there are very few jobs for newly qualified pilots. Cabin Crew is good fun and everybody I work with is really nice. My ultimate goal is to be at the pointy end but until then I am just concentrating on the job in hand and enjoying it.:D

Crash Barrier
17th Aug 2002, 23:31
Yes, plate laying is a nice alternative to flying the aircraft!!

skysoarer
20th Aug 2002, 08:44
Hmmm. Yes I'm currently with Britannia as cabin crew and there is one guy I know who has his frozen atpl and cannot get a job, even with Britannia from within the company so he's still tray stacking.

It makes me glad that I'm still at PPL level and have a way to go yet. Hopefully the job situation may be better. Besides I still fly regularly (gliding) anyway so my flying 'fix' is assured.

Regards;

Graeme Scott

LuiSenna
20th Aug 2002, 12:40
Hi,
I´m thinking about applying for a cabin crew job and i would like to post a question regarding this matter, do you think is wise to put on CV the pilots license?

Best regards
LuiSenna

Bluebaron
20th Aug 2002, 15:02
I was a purser with Virgin Atlantic for 8 years before leaving to instruct in Feb 2001. I´ve been looking for an airline job sice Mar 1998.

I´ve seen many people get jobs some who deserve it some who don´t. Cabin crew is a great job with reasonable pay and lots of time off. Becoming a pilot you get more money less work and more time off, only downside is 18 months of hard work and 60,000 pounds to get there!

You still might not be able to get a job, check out the wannabes forum and you will see that there are hundreds of pilots out of work at the moment.

No harm in doing your PPL and seeing how you get on, thats how i started.;)

BB :D

fantum farter
21st Aug 2002, 05:11
I was cabin crew for a few years and then managed to very luckily get sponsorship (after10 yrs trying)

I enjoyed cc very much and had lots of fun both on flights and downroute.

Becoming fd was always my aim and am grateful to have achieved it but working aas crew has given me the additional insight as to what goes on behind me so I am very aware of the pressures that apply to the crew that i work with and can hopefuly give what little help that I can.

still miss the gossip though!

Edited cos I just reread your post.

Adavantages:

More money (if your that way inclined but I suppose it helps)

Not treated like a child by managers

Less hours -but doesnt feel like it in right now

Doing my dream job

Happy going to work as Cabin Crew but ecstatic as Flight deck

Parents are more proud than you are

Long term more career options available

Job satisfaction-when everything is t**s up everywhere and absoloute chaos and you get home safe and sound by doing your job right and making the right calls it is a nice feeling thinking I/we did alright there without feeling big headed

Disadvantages:

More responsibility=more stress, night cfu- fecking awful place

Sim check every six months-potentially could lose job if not up to scratch (flying is the one of the few proffesions that you are checked on a regular basis)

Medical check up every year/six months depending on age again could lose job if you fail loads of people are diagnosed diabetic for no reason.

seniority system if you move jobs you go to the bottom so have to wait longer for command or the best aircraft fleets it really is like starting over again

At the moment due to economics the lifestyle is being eroded /pay and conditions but that is the same for cabin crew i guess as well. (pilots wish they were on half the money their neighbours think they earn)!

and finally being stuck for 10 hrs 2ft away from someone in the middle of the night that you dont really like who farts belches has BO no personality whatsover but still thinks thay are gods gift to aviation and the entire female population that inhabits this good earth- thank god for CRM (you can tell them they are a w**ker but you are only doing for the sake of CRM)

But for me all the advantages greatly outweigh the disadvantages
every day no matter how bad the guy next to me smells!