PDA

View Full Version : BMI redundancies at EMA

hotnhi
30th Jul 2002, 22:27
What are the plans for BMI cabin crew now the EMA base is closing?

KingoftheRoad
31st Jul 2002, 16:48
Hadn't heard that EMA was closing !!.................

That'l come as a shock to a great number of people :eek:

LBA & MME are to be shut as Flight Deck bases.

EMA becomes all bmibaby..........lots of CC jobs there methinks ;)

hotnhi
1st Aug 2002, 10:31
I know of at least one CC who is being made redundant, any one know the big picture?

KingoftheRoad
1st Aug 2002, 15:44
The only redundancies I'm aware of are due to the scrapping of the FSM position (see thread elsewhere).

Todays press release from bmibaby MD Tony Davis shows an increase in routes from EMA up to 23 (with Madrid a possible extra). 400 flights a week, thats 50000 seats :cool:

All the Regional flights are now 'baby', the Fokkers go to LHR, and the base becomes exclusively 737.

As I said before, that sounds like a lot of CC jobs :)

Rude C'man
4th Aug 2002, 08:11
Indeed EMA is ditching BMI mainline and regional. All services from EMA will be served by baby wef 30 Oct and the start of the winter schedule. There will be redundancies however; I doubt that there will be plenty of CC jobs! Despite the fact that BMI have started BMI baby as a separate company it has to offer it's staff continuance of service. EMA boasts some of the most senior CC within BMI and would be fools to let them go with a measly pay off after most of the girls and boys there have kept BMI afloat for years. Austin Ried is a shrewd businessman despite being out of touch with his staff. There is a lot of unhappy CC at EMA who at the moment face complete uncertainty with their airline career. Come on BMI wake up smell the coffee!
Do you really want to go down the road of carrying full loads of dross Pax across the pond all pissed and abusive? From my personal experiences Bucket airlines sell cheap and offer a cheap service therefore attracting dross Pax who at times are down right disgusting.
:o
For anyone considering working for BMI baby before you apply speak to some of the crew and check out their working envoiroment first, I think you may then have second thoughts....

hotnhi
5th Aug 2002, 14:33
Rude,
Thanks for your informed reply.
Sounds like a worrying time at EMA. As one who has had my fair share of redundancies I hope that things can be resolved with minimum disruption to your staff (every companies most important asset).
Rgards

Luke341
6th Aug 2002, 19:17
wouldnt the EMA bmi crew be just transferred to bmibaby? it just seems common sense...:rolleyes:

682ft AMSL
9th Aug 2002, 08:33
bmi regional were advertising for LBA based cabin crew in last night's local evening paper.

Applicants told to send CV's in as quickly as possible and told they must have a European passport.

Perhaps suggests that the curernt EMA regional CC will transfer to Baby - the Embraers and flight deck will move to Leeds and they are therefore recruiting new regional CC to support the expansion at LBA????

Chilli Ray
9th Aug 2002, 09:52
bmir CC will have to apply and be reinterviewed if they want jobs with baby. All Emb 145 moving from EMA with at least one being based in MAN poss two before end of year. There are MAN based CC but are at least two short at the moment. Routes talked about are Toulouse and Nice, just a rumour.

KingoftheRoad
10th Aug 2002, 12:15
Read 'bmi CC stitch up' by 'Uncle Pete' in Reporting Points !!

Can Midland really be so callous ??

Is it LEGAL ??

OzzieO
11th Aug 2002, 07:26
Regarding the last posting by Kingoftheroad about whether BMI can be so callous in short the answer is yes!

I worked for the company from 1986-1990. It sounds as if nothing has changed.

Believe me (and speaking from experience) the company do not give a crap about its workforce.

YYC F/A
10th Sep 2002, 09:17
The situation at bmi is a travesty...

I know at least 2 flight supervisors who were hired as BMI mainline crew, and transferred (maintaining length of service) to Regional at EMA. Now, they have been made redundant. The choice was to RE-APPLY for bmi baby, and if successful start as a 'T1' (back to square one with seniority, new contract, no different than being hired off the street)..... Otherwise, be made redundant. When they asked about transferring back to their original base (LHR) they were told that it was not allowed... Strange, given that bmi is apparently so short of crew at LHR.

The issues with the FSM's at bmi are still raging as well, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the unfair dismissal cases succeed.