PDA

View Full Version : Laser Eye surgery & Class 1 medical (ATC)

heinzmanm
30th Jul 2002, 11:13
I'm hoping someone can clear up a query for me so that I can decide whether or not to go ahead with LASIK eye surgery.
The CAA will accept laser surgery on a Class 1 medical, provided they meet certain criteria (which I do).
The question is, if I apply to NATS, will laser eye surgery be accepted with them?
Originally, I thought that gaining a Class 1 certificate would enable me to apply to NATS or work towards a career as an airline pilot but eher does seem to be some confusion.
Can someone please clear this up?
Are there 2 different types of Class 1 medical (JAR and CAA)?
If so, are they the same as far as eyesight/surgery is concerned?
Thanks.

Bright-Ling
30th Jul 2002, 12:00
Maybe you should put this in the Medical forum buddy.

All I know os that my ATCO Class 1 doen't cover me for a PPL Class 2, and some Doc's charge for it! Crazy.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
30th Jul 2002, 12:06
I'd have thought it much better to talk to the proper medics rather than post on PPrune.... Whatever anyone says on here cannot be interpreted as a final decision can it??

radar707
30th Jul 2002, 22:19
This one has been done before, I had the PRK laser surgery some 8 years ago now, no problems getting the class 1 medical, the only condition was that I went to Gatwick once a year for 2 years to be monitored.
It is acceptable for controllers at the moment, but will probably change (for new medicals) when we come into the word of JAR

goatgruff
31st Jul 2002, 15:05
Heinz - just to clear up your worries about NATS, a CAA class one medical is just that, and as long as the certificate is valid with no restrictions, NATS have no authority whatsoever to query it.

At the moment, atco's are only covered by CAA medical regulations, not JAR, but JAR will encompass the CAA world in the future - when I don't know.
I think that JAR standards do now apply to pilots though, and that the corrected eyesight requirement is higher than currectly required by the CAA.

As an atco I have a class one medical certificate which covers me for atco duties, howecer I also have a FISO licence, for which I must have a Class 3 medical certificate :confused: - I don't have a separate medical examination, when I go for the class one shake down, the AME gives me 2 certificates and charges the appropriate fee! :eek:

As for laser surgery, I'm not an expert in the field, but be very careful.
As I understand it, there is no guarantee with regard to long term stability and subsequent eyesight standards, which is why the CAA medical branch need to make regular checks.