PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Wings Ltd

Propsareforkids
28th Jul 2002, 21:04
TC finally closed this place. What a disaster! Ops Manager / CP lies, lies, lies! If they are ever allowed to fly again, I suggest staying a long, long way away from them!

justcurious
7th Aug 2002, 06:51
TC is up once again for the (maybe) Grand Reopening!

Hope everyone studied hard!

320_ElectroJet_Pilot
9th Aug 2002, 20:36
I spent a month at Arctic Wings until they were shut down a few weeks ago. (The things a guy does when he's layed off and bored).

The place is a disaster, and for the month...

I DID NOT GET PAID. THE COMPANY IS NOT RETURNING MY PHONE CALLS, OR EMAILS. IT SEEMS THAT I WILL HAVE TO TAKE THEM TO COURT, OR SIMPLY ACCEPT THAT I WORKED FOR THE CROOKS FOR A MONTH AT MY OWN EXPENSE.

I wouldn't recomment anyone go there, unless they are paid in advance. (Like that would ever happen)

Panama Jack
10th Aug 2002, 23:02
You mean TC actually pulls OC's???

Whoa-- a historical moment in Canadian aviation. Well done Transport!!!

McDoo the Irish Navigator
11th Aug 2002, 13:53
Fellow aviators...

An interesting story out of the Arctic, we'd all love to know more, but let's be careful where this thread goes...

Please; no unsubstantiated rumours, allegations or slanderous comments.

So far so good, and if anyone can can add more FACTS to the story, splendid.

PaperTiger
11th Aug 2002, 17:58
Here's the TC decision.
http://www.cta-otc.gc.ca/rulings-decisions/orders/2001/A/2001-A-471_e.html

No details on why. Previous entries:

http://www.cta-otc.gc.ca/rulings-decisions/orders/2000/A/2000-A-279_e.html
http://www.cta-otc.gc.ca/rulings-decisions/orders/2000/A/2000-A-331_e.html

justcurious
11th Aug 2002, 20:52
TC went home.

The airways are not filled with calls of "Traffic 137.8 mile west of Holman- Arctic Wings 610 is at 9300 feet westbound to Tuk" or even "Grackle Grackle 601 is (unintelligible) for grackle"

One presumes it is not because AW & R is not closed for the weekend for a victory celebration.

ipanema
11th Aug 2002, 22:56
Under the document they were granted a certificate to operate for one year. Apparently they were so bad at their business that they failed to even apply for an extension or for another year, so it appears their permissions simply ran out.

Another maroon bites the dust... sorry for the poor b*stards at the bottom who - as usual - got screwed in the process.

justcurious
14th Aug 2002, 03:53
Well, yes, attention to paperwork is a good thing. TC is apt to scold you for little lapses like that. However, and this is just an aside- Have you ever flown over an iceberg at low level? Ever notice how much of it is actually below the surface?
Just Curious

Tundratires
19th Aug 2002, 05:08
re Paper tiger's comments the decisions you refer to that were made by the transportaion agency refer to Arctic Wings & Rotors Ltd. this company has not been in existence since 1998 when it was sold to the existing owners and the feds merely cancelled the previous licenses because one cannot sell said certificates, Arctic Wings Ltd. is a completely different entity than Arctic Wings & Rotors Ltd. was.

PaperTiger
19th Aug 2002, 06:19
That was what turned up in a search at the time, but a more recent decision re: Arctic Wings (Aug 7) is now there. Not that there's any real info:

http://www.cta-otc.gc.ca/rulings-decisions/decisions/2002/A/439-A-2002_e.html

justcurious
30th Aug 2002, 13:52
Theeeeyyy'rre ba-aaaack.

Tundratires
30th Aug 2002, 19:42
re "theeeeyr baack" what is it with your attitude towards Arctic Wings, Bob???? granted they have problems but really with the task at hand and a undercutting competitor like kbal/aklak that to this day have yet to turn a profit up there, I would challenge anyone to try and run the perfect airline, what with pilots and mechanics that allways have a better way to run operations it seems that it is time for all you know it alls to put up or shut up, I am in no way suggesting or endorseing that bad management is acceptable however there is allways two sides to every story

Propsareforkids
31st Aug 2002, 18:39
Hi Carl.

justcurious
1st Sep 2002, 21:38
"As these are anonymous forums the origins of the contributions may be opposite to what may be apparent. In fact the press may use it, or the unscrupulous, to elicit certain reactions."

Well, where to begin?

The beginning, I suppose. For starters, they are.

As to the rest, you err in your beliefs. I like Arctic Wings. They are a consistent strong reed in the wind, standing up to Transport Canada, and for the most part succeeding. I've had a hand in hiring several former Arctic Wings pilots over the years, and all of them have been fun to work with, eventually moving on to bigger and better things.

But, a little clarification is in order. The problem with Arctic Wings lies in it's mind-set, not it's employees. All of us, at a certain age, yearn for a return to the 'olden days' when we could fly when and how we wanted, and the 'government' could do ******-all about it. I often yearn for those days myself, when the entire Air Regulations manual was less than 103 large-font pages. Sadly, this is pure fantasy. Air regulations abound in the present day, and must be followed, or the inevitable wrath of Transport Canada will ensue.

Since you are apparantly new to this whole forum posting process, you should realize that most of us here follow the view of Shakespeare's Portia, in that "The quality of Mercy is not strained, it falleth as the gentle rain from heaven" Thus we haven't used specific failures of Arctic Wings, or most other companies. Rather, we have pointed out that a certain amount of preparation for Transport Canada's next visit would be in order, and that while we expect the doors to open soon, there must be reasons beneath the surface that caused the suspension, since minor paper-work issues do not in themselves merit such actions.

Genuine mud-slinging would have invoked the wrath of the Forum Administrator, and caused a flurry of PM's from the TC Inspectors that also frequent this site. It would serve no purpose. Since Arctic Wings offers no real competition for what I do, I hope they manage to achieve the changes that the Inspectors have indicated they desire. If they fail to do this, then I suppose we might have to consider light singles again.

Since, Tundra, you appear from YOUR IP, to be from 68 and change rather than 72N, I think I can assume you are part of the Management at Arctic Wings. I will offer several observations, which may not be true or Arctic Wings, but certainly wouldn't hurt them:

1. Effective change, in my limited experience, comes from the frank admission of the existence of a problem.

2. Do the paperwork related to flying in all its myriad aspects: Training, flight planning, dangerous goods acceptance, and flight & duty tracking.

3. Train the staff and pilots, compensate them fairly, and promote from within.

4. Focus on the company's strengths. Try not to compound the company's weaknesses.

5. Try to remember that, while the old days are over, the past is prologue, as far as Transport Canada is concerned.

These are things which any company in this business should take heed of. If they don't for some reason apply to the issue at hand, fine.

BTW, on a standard keyboard, two keys to the left of the shift key is one which contains a period. Please consider getting one. Oh, and "...all you know it alls to put up or shut up" would read a little better as: ...all you know-it-all's to either put up or shut up.

I hope this helps.

Tundratires
2nd Sep 2002, 02:25
you must still be wearing that hat with all the pins stuck in it obviously some of them pins got stuck in just a bit to far, there stn 60.

ProfessorMCDU
2nd Oct 2002, 21:17
TC and the RCMP are back at the Artic Wings Hanger.

Oh, flashback to the days of Elvis..."The OC has left the building..."

Yes ladies and gentlemen, they are closed again!

I really need to find a job!