PDA

View Full Version : LHR Emergency

Oxford1G
28th Jul 2002, 15:02
If i have an emergency in the London area, and ask for Rwy 27R, or 09L at LHR for the runway length; because i have a hydraulics failure. Would there be any issues from ATC, would you try route me to LGW or STN?

Thanks

Loki
28th Jul 2002, 16:03
There might be pressure for you to go and have your crisis elsewhere, but it wouldn`t come from ATC directly, rather from the BAA (can`t do anything to jeopardise their profits, can we?)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
28th Jul 2002, 17:20
ATC has absolutely nothing to do with such matters other than arranging an appropriate routeing for wherever YOU choose to land. However, ATC may be requested by the airport authority to ask the captain to consider diverting to a less busy airfield if the problem is likely to cause problems at the destination airport, eg blocked runway. However, this will NOT occur in these cases:

• the captain has declared an emergency;
• the captain had advised that he has a fuel shortage;
• weather conditions elsewhere preclude a diversion.

A/c with hydraulic problems may not be daily occurences but they're most certainly not infrequent and I've never yet known one to divert. However, a hydraulic problem does constitute a "full emergency" for the safety services and the runway may need to be cleaned afterwards..

Oxford1G
30th Jul 2002, 12:18