PDA

View Full Version : Cabin crew jumpseat

DoorL1
28th Jul 2002, 12:22
Just wondering if anyone can help me with information regarding cabin crew jumpseats. Where are the best and most safest locations on aircraft? Should they be located in the galley and any info as to why not, or where I can find info would be gratefully accepted. Thanks.

Northern Hosty
28th Jul 2002, 16:24
:) I always say that it's safer at the back, An aircraft does'nt
reverse into a mountain!!! :cool:

Punto
28th Jul 2002, 19:16
:( Still might aswell kiss your ass goodbye, if you hit a mountain. Like many in the past, very few pax have ever got out alive after a crash into a mountain.
Ditching's are the same, and i was thinking this myself the other day, when i was watching a program in SFB with regards to the 767 that was held by terrorists, that ploughed into the indian ocean. :( If you're gonna go, you're gonna go ! :p

ditzyboy
28th Jul 2002, 21:48
Rearward facing jumpseats are safer in a rapid deceleration. The Australian government tried to get the airlines to face all seats (ie. pax seats) backwards on jets when they were first introduced here.

I would prefer not to use a jumpseat in the galley/facing a galley because a stray cart/urn upon takeoff/landing would really hurt.

Lozza2002
28th Jul 2002, 22:01
Northern Hostie
It depends on how you look at it.
If you where a pilot would you put in nose first...I doubt it.

:D

Bundy
29th Jul 2002, 00:22
Is there any legislation or rules around the jumpseats? We sit in the aft galley on some of our a/c, and I have visions of having an oven or two embedded in my face, and squashed by carts in a rejected takeoff! Also if there was a decompression where do we go to put a harness on? Are there any rules or does nobody care about the cabin crew???? I'd be interested to know.

cloud nine
29th Jul 2002, 02:14
Bundy,

Who do you fly with? Just curious.

We also sit in the aft galley on some of our aircraft. With our airline, we must have all finger locks locked and everything stowed away in the galley before take off and landing. This is one of our checks.

And as for the harness, well that is our crew seat. It has a full harness. But in the situation where a decompression would take place, we are taught to take the nearest seat possible, which may be a pax seat if this was to happen whilst we were moving about the cabin. If there are no seats available it's best to wedge yourself in between the isle or between 2 pax seats. Provided the backside fits of coarse!

:rolleyes:

Then its time to administer oxygen to yourself and the pax.

worzel
30th Jul 2002, 07:29
The safest place to sit is the flight deck. The pilots going to do his absolute best to save his own neck!

worzel

OzPax1
30th Jul 2002, 18:41
Is that because their nearly always the first ones at the sceane of an accident/crash....!!! :D :p

sweety
1st Aug 2002, 11:50
Yep, Pilots are first to die almost always.. Sadly.

The safest jumpseats are in the back together with pax seats. The fact!

nojacketsrequired
1st Aug 2002, 17:44
Safest cabin crew seat is on the upper deck of a B747 cargo aircraft so you don't have to answer passenger questions day and night!!!!!.

NJR:D :D :D

stanleystan
4th Aug 2002, 14:11
The Australian government tried to get the airlines to face all seats (ie. pax seats) backwards on jets when they were first introduced here.

When my dad was in the army we flew back from Cyprus on an RAF Tristar where all the seats were rear facing. I wish I could remember it! I also have a safety card for an RAF VC10 and the brace position is just to sit upright in your seat. I think that this would be much more safer in an emergency especially if you are not prepared for it.

AnsettStar
5th Aug 2002, 04:06
As a regularly-flying (and law abiding :) pax I've always thought if the carriers can fork out for lifejackets why the hell not parachutes????? hahahahah

Seriously I know cost would be sky-high....but it's a good question! :)