PDA

View Full Version : Watch change anyone?

Numpo-Nigit
26th Jul 2002, 21:47
With the long-running, on-off, saga of the change to NERC watch patterns apparently settled, it is time for some new fun and games.

I am led to believe that some seventy individuals, both ATCO and ATSA, have submitted requests for a change of watch, to coincide with the changeover, for reasons of child-care arrangements. For each of these valid requests there is potentially an unwanted reverse switch for somebody else to keep the watches in balance.

With the changeover scheduled for early October, and, I believe, thirty days' notice required for the individuals affected, there is relatively little time for the ORO to resolve these complex issues.

Look forward to some interesting confrontations as the aggrieved victims fight for their rights not to be discriminated against for not having child-care issues!!!

Even if everybody is satisfied with the end result, the mechanism of the changeover will inevitably be chaotic as, for those very reasons of child-care, the changes cannot be made before the actual changeover date.

I look forward to seeing the October watch roster being published promptly on September 20th !!!!

5milesbaby
26th Jul 2002, 23:11
From what I've heard N-N, quite a lot of these match up. How much 'quite a lot' is I don't know, but may be similar to the numbers saying we aren't understaffed ;) However, can be a good thing, as maybe watch balancing can produce new atmostpheres and maybe slightly happier people.

Perhaps this may get a better response on the NATS Forum anyway, not really relevant to anyone else.

Numpo-Nigit
27th Jul 2002, 09:48
5mb

I'd be interested in your recollection of the last time that a watch-balancing exercise actually improved morale. In my experience the opposite appears to be true - people moved against their wishes are rarely happier and more productive. If you doubt my word then think back to the attempt at the start of OCT. How successful was that?

As to the NATS forum, does anybody read it?

NN

On the beach
28th Jul 2002, 14:25
watch change anyone?

I'll swap you my Timex for your Rolex anyday.:D :D

Scott Voigt
29th Jul 2002, 04:19
Curious;

How do you do your watch bidding????

We normally do it once a year for crew bidding ( Days off ) and then do it by seniority...

regards

Direct HALIFAX
29th Jul 2002, 21:35
Scott

GET A LIFE........................

goatgruff
29th Jul 2002, 22:14
Watch changes to accomodate your personal life?:eek:
No wonder NATS is such a screwed up organisation:rolleyes:
Tail wags dog.:confused: :mad: :eek:

BEXIL160
29th Jul 2002, 23:00
Dct Halifax ....

I can assure you Scott has an extremely FULL life. Trust me.

As to answering his question, well like many things, it's done somewhat differently "over here".

Staff at Swanwick are allocated to one of Five watches, lettered A-E, and work a rotation of shifts. Currently this is:

A A R M M N N S R R

but in October will become:

M M A A N N S R R R

Bidding for individual shifts doesn't happen, even the leeway with allocating who does Night shifts has been taken over by the ORO (£300,000 of waste in my opinion),

Leave allocation has (thankfully) been given back to the watches to sort out amongst themselves. (Total cost = £ ZERO.... ORO take note). This has been done in a number of ways, including complicated "points" systems, but by and large most people get close to the leave they ask for.

Rgds BEX

Scott Voigt
30th Jul 2002, 02:46
Hi Bexil;

Thanks for the answer... Guess Direct Halifax has a chip on or something... They seem rather upity <G>...

regards

Sheilagh Blige
1st Aug 2002, 10:39
About time you lot down there changed to a sensible watch roster......totally pointless having a day off after being back at work only 2 days.

You'll get more benefit in the long term from having sleep/3 days off rather than 2,especially if you can do a day slip rather than a night on your last duty.:p