PDA

View Full Version : Met Observer's Certificate

Tee
26th Jul 2002, 09:02
Can anyone tell me where to start looking to obtain a Met Observer's certificate in the UK?

Thanks!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
26th Jul 2002, 10:16
I can't give you a sure answer but try belling the Met Office for starters... I did mine at RAF Abingdon and I suspect that some RAF stations still have Met Offices so if you have a local RAF station u could try there..

Hew Jampton
26th Jul 2002, 13:18
Read the AIC.

Spitoon
26th Jul 2002, 16:49
In helpful mode today so - the AIC (http://www.ais.org.uk/Uk_aip/AIP/pdf/aic/4W055.PDF)

Tee
26th Jul 2002, 19:46
Thanks folks!

canberra
26th Jul 2002, 20:14
all raf flying stations have met offices! you can do the met observers course at bracknell.

Chilli Monster
27th Jul 2002, 10:13
A bit behind the times I'm afraid. Courses are now done at the South Devon College, Torquay. One weeks residential followed by a week at either Manchester or Heathrow. (In the days since I did mine the military have got a bit funny about security).

As has been saisd before - it's all in the AIC

CM

Tocsin
27th Jul 2002, 12:38
Tee,

I've just done part 1 of the course, at Shinfield Park, near Reading - but as said, the Met Office College has _just_ moved to the South West.

I have some contact info, but it is now either obsolete, or u/s until later in August, due to the move.

If you have any specific questions (from the trainee point of view!) just email me or post here.

I'm told the course is about £3k - but mine was paid for by my weekend job :D

Standard Noise
27th Jul 2002, 15:22
THREE ****ING GRAND!!! You were done me old mate. Last time someone went from our place it was only £1500 and that was earlier this year. Mind you, it was £900 about 5 years ago.

Tocsin
28th Jul 2002, 22:17
Standard Noise,

Well, it was Betty's Flying Club that was billed, so maybe we got the standard discount of + 80% :cool:

To be serious :p , it was only because it was centrally funded that it was a go-er - the Sqn training budget wouldn't bear it (the Gunners need their blanks :D )

Standard Noise
29th Jul 2002, 08:16
Ah, that explains it.
So tell me, how much is a tap washer these days - "Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realise it was a gov. contract, why didn't you say so, in that case it's £346.86 + vat, Sqn Ldr me old china."

I wonder if the new place has a bar , it's not often you get Stella for £1.50 a pint. When am I due my refresher course...........:D