PDA

View Full Version : African Flying - what UK Airlines think ?

trekker
24th Jul 2002, 21:50
Well, I've just about given up on finding a job in the UK in the near future and am considering taking a trip to Africa to go knocking on doors.

My question is, and this is assuming than I am sucessful in my quest, is when I return to the UK after 1 or 2 years flying round Africa, how is a potential employer going to view my flying experience.

Will flying round the bush, mostly VFR etc.. count against me, or will the experience enhance my job prospects ? Will I have restricted my self to flying in Africa for the rest of my life ?

Any thoughts, anyone gained flying experince in Africa and found it difficult to get a job when they get home, or does it not matter ?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers

Trekker

cc:Wanabees Forum:cool: :cool:

Firestorm
28th Jul 2002, 08:47
A difficult question, but it worked for me. My 'interpretation' of what UK airlines think of it is this: it is fine as long as you don't do too much of it, and my guess is around 1,000 hours in Africa, or 2 years.

I don't think that UK managers, generally, understand bush flying, or African flying as such. In many areas of Africa flying is becoming more sophisticated in that more and more operations are based around prepared strips with some sort of FISO rather than any convenient patch of ground, although this very much depends on what types you fly. Many African nations base their avaition regulations on European standards (usually the nation that was their colonial ruler in days of yore).

Postives are that you will develop your stick and rudder skills in a way that you could not do in a jet operation in this country. Your judgement and self reliance will develop and all sorts of good stuff like that. Ultimately I believe, like all job seeking in the UK it depends upon the individual who reads your CV on the day. If he hasbush type experience he will understand: if he had Hamble/BA cadetship type training he may not.

My advice: go and do it and enjoy it. I did and I loved it. Now I fly for a scheduled regional in the UK and love that too.

Good luck.:)

break dancer
31st Jul 2002, 14:51
Well it worked for me down in Africa. 6500 hours later I got a job on a jet (1st one flown) and got command in just over a year.

It all boils down to the individuals professionalism. Stay professional and keep your standards. Your professionalism shines through regardless of how you achieved your hours when you eventually decide to get back to "civilisation".

31st Jul 2002, 20:00
I agree with break dancer. Even if he/she did make that <civilisation> comment. I would add though; be careful; you might find they've a damned high standard down there. It's not as if you're on your way to fly with a bunch of <uncivilised> baboons mate! :D

trekker
31st Jul 2002, 22:10
Thanks for all your advice and positive replies, it's just given me the reassurance that I required before making such a big leap.

I'll probaly be heading out sometime in December to go knocking on doors and if it doesn't work out I'll at least have been to places I've never been before.

Cheers

Trekker :)

Sheep Guts
1st Aug 2002, 23:10
I have never flown in Africa, but I have operated in Central America, The CARIBBEAN and Northern Australia. Most of my bush TIME is in Aus. There is nothing wrong with bush time, it will hone your skills, improve your adaptability to different situations, and improve your decision making. The new world trend is for most pilots to bypass this phase, and PUT you in the right hand seat of an A320 with 200hrs total time. Which scares me silly evereytime I hop in one as a pax. Because an A320 defintely is not a single pilot aircraft.
Airlines in general should look on it favourably I think, for eg the majority of pilots in the Aussie Airlines came from the bush, not cadets or ExRaaf as somewould say.
In the end who cares what the airlines or other people say about going to Africa . I SAYgo for it TREKKER!

The only thiong I would say is keep up your IFR skills, because generally VFR is the go out bush. Practice makes perfect.

Clogmaster
2nd Aug 2002, 06:42
Sheep guts - I like your signature!

A word about VMC/IMC flying - most people seem to have the idea that all of the 'Africa' flying is done in blue-skies VFR.

Not entirely true.... we find ourselves flying between CBs that go up to 50,000' in summer, and in a dust/inversion layer up to 15,000' in winter. Both require you to fly on instruments :p

Then getting back to base at end of day, we get plenty of practice flying holds and approaches. Oh and we share the skies with some 'interesting' fellow aviators :D :D :D

Africa is an experience not to be missed.......... go for it!!!