PDA

View Full Version : LOREL 2C - A dumb question

2Donkeys
24th Jul 2002, 14:53
A dumb question from a pilot.

I have flown the LOREL 2C on a couple of occasions into EGSC over the last week or so, and on both occasions have been left very high (ROD required > 2500 fpm) prior to handover to Essex for positioning onto finals 05.

As a piston twin, getting from FL220 down to ground level in 35 track miles can be tough act to pull off, whilst remaining at a speed where landing gear can be lowered, and without causing all of the cylinders to die through shock cooling.

Was I unlucky in the use of 05, or could I/should I have been asking/demanding/begging for descent earlier. My recollection is passing BPK still up around FL160 in brick-like descent.

All suggestions/comments/hints welcome

professor yaffle
24th Jul 2002, 18:30
this could be a stupid answer, but were you told how many track miles you had at any stage? (by apc radar) and if so why not ask for more???

prof

It will be alright!!
24th Jul 2002, 19:02
Normally i would expect aircraft following the lorel arrivals through Vaton to be at or around flight level 120 by Bpk and i am well aware that Essex radar would prefer them to be lower and on most occasions i would try to achieve this. FL160 at Bpk is far to high and i would see it is fairly exceptional to be that high at the Bpk, therfore i can only think that you were unlucky or there was a reason you got late descent.

Direct HALIFAX
24th Jul 2002, 20:45
It is the norm to cross BPK at around FL120, and then to do an orbit (or more) at BKY / LOREL. If you do get a shorter route than that, then a rapid rate of descent would be required. The procedures assume lots of plane and holding at LOREL.

max250
15th Aug 2002, 20:08
2Donkeys, I'm afraid the initial levels you are allocated are determined by standing agreements between sectors, and the standard arrival route BPK BKY is treated as a Stansted inbound and you can expect FL120 at BPK until clear of Heathrow outbounds. Next, expect a level to be allocated at the LOREL hold, this will be FL80 minimum, although you wont actually be held at LOREL. Further descent is affected by Stansted westbound departures through BKY which can be climbing to FL70 or higher depending on the pressure of the day. Once clear of these tracks its normal practise to give descent to the level allocated by Cambridge ATC to the CAM. Unfortunately this doesn't give you many track miles to the Cambridge overhead. It's impossible to get a range from touchdown because nobody knows what Cambridge's intentions, runway in use, number in traffic, whether it'll be radar or procedural approach etc. for you is. You'll find that out when you're on the Cambridge frequency. Good luck
Max250