PDA

View Full Version : Working for Aid agencies.

Say again s l o w l y
22nd Jul 2002, 20:02
Has anyone got any experience of working for Agencies such as the Red cross, Medicin Sans Frontiers etc??

My conscience has been pricked by seeing the suffering of so many in the third world and I thought I might aswell use my skills to try and help.
I've read about the MAF, but as I'm not exactly religous I don't think it would be for me.

What I would like to know is, What exactly does the job entail? Is it dodgy at all? What's the best way of getting into it?

I hold a U.K ATPL(A) and a CPL(H).

Cheers for any info.
(Copied across from Bizjets & GA Forum)

south coast
23rd Jul 2002, 07:24
say again slowly....

perhaps you have never flown for an aid agency before, but maybe i can offer you some advice.....

flying in africa for these 'save the world' type folk is not exactly what you might think it is...

if you have a conscience about what is happening in the 3rd world and want to try and put it to right, dont bother...you will never solve their problems as they are embedded deeply in a completely different social mindset to ours.

flying in africa is great fun, but very demanding...the red tape involved within aid organisations is immense and nothing happens quickly.

if you enjoy being in some difficult enviroments and enjoying dealing with people who dont always understand or appreciate what you are actually trying to do for them, then go for it.

many contracts are with south african companies who provide the plane and the crew, so you are better off trying to get in with one of these such companies than with the organisation directly.

for that you would need to do the sa licence or validate yours.

plus points are the money is great and you can have a great time in these places, meeting many new and different people.

perhaps, 4 granted and the general could also offer you some advice.....

RAINBOW ANGEL
23rd Jul 2002, 09:14
Very frustrating kind of work indeed

Try the search engine on this forum , there were some
quote on heli operations in mozambique and some of the
actors of releif flying. The best cie would be Skyrelief
created by an americain and based in Zim , they use
Buffalo's.

The flying is great , no doubt about it, go for it .

Say again s l o w l y
23rd Jul 2002, 10:18
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not trying to change the world, but I am getting fed up of flying very rich people about who only use their a/c as ego extensions.
I was brought up in Nigeria and Ghana many moons ago, now that really was red tape!

I'd like to do some "interesting" flying as I'm young and stupid enough to enjoy a challenge without having to worry about a family back home. Do any of the organisations such as skyrelief and airserv have both rotary and fixed wing ops??

Cheers again guy's

Doodlebug
23rd Jul 2002, 15:29
Hi say again s l o w l y.

Lived and flown in 5 countries down there including some of the most insane. Bush, cargo, charter, aid, evacuations. The misery in Africa will go away when the outside world stops condescendingly sending "aid". (this usually is utterly incomprehensible and reeks of "racism" to those who have never been there themselves).
Most people I know who went in there came out with no conscience at all once they got to know the real Africa.
Also, a couple thousand Africa-hours in your book can be a real minus in Europe, believe me!

Suggest you pole around Europe and hug a tree once in a while, no offence.

Keep it safe...

Say again s l o w l y
23rd Jul 2002, 18:50
Doodlebug,

Whilst I agree with you for the reasons why much of the third world (sorry "developing nations"!) is in such a state, corruption, interest on bank loans etc.....

I don't agree that we should just stop trying to help people. I was in Nigeria in the late '70's and my family had to get out of there in one big hurry. I won't go into why.

Aid as it is, can be a greater problem, but I also think that some of what happens is essential, medical aid and famine relief for example.

Maybe I'm just naive, but if we all just sat back it would probably get even worse.
As for Tree hugging, not something I ever do unless I'm trying to put a chain around it!
The main reason for wanting to fly in Africa is the challenge, I'm getting bored flying here.
Thanks for the opinion tho'. I'm open to all suggestions as I'd like an accurate picture before I chuck in a nice safe well paid job here.

4granted
23rd Jul 2002, 19:17
Yo Slowly
Are you hard of hearing? ..get rid of those seinheisers..and get into a pair of Clarkes...
You wont get better job satifaction or good "spirit" enviroments like you do there. Youll have your up days and your down days (What is this all for????? why am I here?????, Is it all worth it??????
Hey any little bit helps OKAY!!!!
So go for it!!
At least for a while. Watch your SOPs and never bust minimums...
take enough fueL and last but not least HAVE A GOOD TIME doing somthing worthwhile whether you believe in it or not..
e mail me for more...
4g
:cool: