PDA

View Full Version : Renewing an SA PPL in the UK

foghorn
22nd Jul 2002, 12:44
I was issued a South African PPL in November 2000. I haven't used it since.

I'll be back in February 2003 and would like to fly again.

I know that my medical needs renewing, and I remember something (from the airlaw exam) about the licence only being valid for one year initially and after the first renewal for two years at a time.

What is involved with renewing it (other than getting a new medical)? What will the timescale be in SA? Is there anyone in the UK who can do this before I go?

On top of that, will I be able to convert my JAA Multi-Engine Piston Class Rating and Single Pilot Multi-Engine Instrument Rating to the equivalent SA ratings on my SA licence? Is it worth me bothering on a limited timescale (holiday)?

Lots of questions I know - maybe someone out there can help me!

cheers!
foggy.

Irv
23rd Jul 2002, 23:24
I got my UK licence endorsed for private flying very quickly, as the club (Algoa in Port Eliz.) were prepared to get almost all of the paperwork done in advance, pre-warn the SA CAA, and then give me an Air Law test and a flight test before I hit the bar on the first evening. The paperwork was through from Pretoria within 24 hours of me arriving and I was legally flying very soon after.
You can get a SA PPL revalidaiton in this country, and a medical I believe, but in your case from what you've said, if you prime the club you want to fly with first, I'm sure they can sort you all out in 24 hours of arrival on vacation there if that's all you want it for.

Glynis
3rd Aug 2002, 16:24
You can do your SA PPL renewal flight test and medical in the UK now. If you want to come over to SA and get the multi-engine rating on your SA licence or renew in the UK, send me an e-mail on [email protected] and I'll give you all the info.