PDA

View Full Version : QF advertising for long haul

Evacu8
18th Jul 2002, 08:29
Qantas is advertising for long haul cabin crew positions around the country this weekend .

This is going to be a language recruitment ONLY !! ie certificate 3 or 4 fluency in a priority language (dont know why we have gone back to lanaguage recruiting :rolleyes: )

The ads will be in Sydney Morning Herald, Melbourne Age, West Australian and Brisbane Courier Mail on Saturday 20 July 2002 .

The langauage requirement has snuck its way back onto the minimum requirements list on the website too !!

From the wesbiste :-

Qantas will shortly have opportunities to apply for the Long Haul Flight Attendant position. Opportunities are for Permanent, Casual or Fixed Term employment.

Qantas is renowned throughout the world for service excellence. It's all to do with our people and their unique Australian style. That's why Qantas and our people are known as "The Spirit of Australia".

We are looking for "Spirited" people to join our cabin crew bases in Perth, Melbourne and Sydney as Long Haul Flight Attendants who are language speakers.

You will have demonstrated fluency in at least one of the following priority languages; Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese, French, German and Italian. Your language skills will be utilised in assisting our customers as a service and safety professional.

You must meet the essential criteria to be eligible to apply for this position. Original documentation must be presented through interview process, photocopies will not be accepted

Good luck for those of you with langauages

:)

Maradona
18th Jul 2002, 11:30
Anyone going to apply for the casual/fix term positions with Qantas Long Haul? Anyone know if they would accept, other languages which arnt stated in the Ad, such as Spanish, or Indonesian? Like to hear of your thoughts guys and girls.

Ive got a Level 4 in Spanish, should i or shouldnt i apply?
If only Qantas still flew to Buenos Aires, then Spanish would still be up there.

Evacu8
18th Jul 2002, 17:57
well maradona its a hard one .... they have stated their minimum requirements are fluency in the advertised langauages. If you go, they will register you... then tell you are unsucessful... then you cant apply again for six months.

But knowing QF, they might re-advetise in a few months time without the lannguage requirement ( QF hasnt advertised the language thing for a while)..... then you cant apply again !!

Its a tough choice, I wouldnt apply this time round if I were you... we have already said we are going to start to fly to south america early next year again.

Your choice though ;)

FloatJockey
19th Jul 2002, 13:01
Evacu8, you rock!

I have French and Italian mother languages, as well as German basics. If my bloody 2 YEARS TEMPORARY SPOUSE VISA doesn't get in the way............ :rolleyes: ............ I might have a slim chance!! This would be interview # 6 and I'm not ready to quit yet!! I'm already counting the coins for the newspaper tomorrow morning! :D :D :D

Mrs. FloatJockey

FloatJockey
19th Jul 2002, 13:03
Oh! And if it works I'm gona get to see my mama more often! :D

jayne
19th Jul 2002, 13:52
goodluck floaty. Hope you get in. Let us know how you go!

Evacu8
19th Jul 2002, 15:08
Mrs Floatjockey !!

Good Luck !!

Even if you have your languages as native - make sure you get your level 4 Advanced fluency certificate from UNSW institute of languages (or their affiliates in your state) .... they wont accept your application without them, even if you were born in the countries of the language. It is an essential requirement and they are known to be pretty brutal about the paperwork ;)

Hope to fly with you soon :)

have fun, show your 'Spirit', relax and enjoy - the interview process is not that bad, they just want to see your personality !!

Maradona
20th Jul 2002, 01:15
Float Jocky, 'I just want to say thank you for your little comment, i am impressed that you havent been discouraged at not beeing given the opportunity to do the medical with Australian Airlines.

We all just have to keep on trying, remember this 'The only ones who fail in life, are the ones that have not tried. We all just have to keep on trying.

I bought the paper today, and well i cant apply cause my language is not one of the ones, stated in the ad. Not to worry though. Hey i heard that Virgin Blue are advertising for flight attendants in Coffs Harbour, maybe you could check them out, they only fly within Australia, so you might not have any problems with your visa? To all of you, applying to Qantas Long Haul, All the very best, let us all know how you go.

vdd
20th Jul 2002, 05:50
Maradona,

Your comment about trying is really sweet.....and very true! I just have hope that one day it's gonna happen for all of us! If it doesn't then I suppose we'll be on this Forum until we're about 80 years old swapping interviewing tips! LOL

All the best to everyone

:D

kjay
20th Jul 2002, 05:58
Good Luck to everyone applying to Qantas Long Haul Posies.
I wont be able to apply this time around . Ive got Indonesion Level 2. So ill have to wait a little longer. Maybe ill start learning italian. Fingers crossed they will advertise again not to far in the distant future.
Mrs Floatjockey sorry to hear about Australian Airlines, But hope you make it this time around with Qantas.:)

FloatJockey
20th Jul 2002, 12:35
Thanks all! It's nice to be back. I really appreciate all the support.
I didn't go very far with my enthusiasm this morning: no ecception regarding temporary visa holders within Qantas, not even if I was to speak all the languages they request!!... I'm out before even having a chance to apply! :(

I guess for time being I'll have to work on my language certificates, as suggested by Evacu8, and find a job in a motel around here, maybe "Front Desk" until I get a decent visa :mad: Every time I see the Minister of Immigration on TV (lately he is not very popular!!) I show him the middle finger and change channel! :D :D
No, seriously: It suxxs already enough to be in a country where I have to "adapt" (I'm not a refugee and my english is not too bad so it's not that difficult! At least I can go around freely.........) but really, why did they give me that stupid visa I cannot even use to compete for the job I want???????????
Anyway, this is not the place to debate about DIMA's procedure...

I think, by itself, it is not a piece of cake to recognize and correct the mistakes I make during interviews (heavy stuff! :p ); in addition to that, not knowing if the real problem is me or the visa makes it even more difficult to figure out! Oh frustration! :rolleyes:

Ok, I've been playing victim long enough tonight.

-------
KJAY Indonesian speaker! What a surprise! I'm sure VB would love you when they start flying to BALIl!! Take me with youuuuu!
-------
VDD, I wonder how many posts we'll have written by age 80!! Wanna guess and bet?? :D
-------
MARADONA, thanks for the nice words! I'd like to feel better and write something nice as well... All I can say is fingers cross for your QATAR' letter in the mail tomorrow! Concerning VB, I have to wait until September before I can reapply. Btw, is the cabin crew BASED in Coffs or is it just where the selection is taking place??
-------
Anyway, my miserable little life appart: GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE GOING FOR THE BIG DAY WITH QANTAS!!!... Show them the SPIRIT!!

Mrs. FloatJockey

smile
21st Jul 2002, 00:05
Hi Floaty,

Give VB a second chance when it comes to September. I was rejected by them once before I started with them a couple of weeks ago. And even though I am still in the middle of my training it is not hard to see why so many people love working for them!!!

And YES all the cabin crew are based in Brisbane and it will probably stay this way until it becomes financially viable for Virgin to open other CC bases.

Keep trying – you’ll get there soon!!

love SMILE

Kem
21st Jul 2002, 07:01
Peanut Pusher, it's people with peanuts for brains like you that make me embarrassed to be Australian. So much for compassion, empathy and respect for other cultures. Mrs FJ we're not all ignorant, misinformed and racist but I'm sure you already know that. Let's stick to the original topic and keep the politics for another forum.

Maradona
21st Jul 2002, 07:58
Mr Peanut, show a little respect for others ok, dont be so harsh on others, i think you should show a little compasion towards float jockey. I found your comment to be kind of rude towards her, you should care, and comfort others, you are so bloody negative, show some empathy.

Be POSITIVE NOT NEGATIVE.
Dont worry Float Jockey, there are others on this forum that will continue to support you and others in our quest for our dream job. We dont have to listen to negative people.

cloud nine
21st Jul 2002, 09:12
Peanut Pusher,

Do everyone a favour and PUSH your PATHETIC negative little peanut brain off this forum!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

vdd
21st Jul 2002, 11:21
Thought it might be a good idea to move away from Peanut Pushers comments and change the subject a bit....

....while we're on the QF subject does anyone know if short haul permanent recruitment is around the corner?

Cheers all:)

FloatJockey
21st Jul 2002, 13:04
Thanks SMILE!! I've read your posts for quite a while now and I know how much effort you (and others like Mr. Seatback II, Cabinboy, Cloud9) have put into becoming a cabin crew. It is people like YOU that make me and many others believe that one day it will happen! ;)

PEANUT PUSHER, people like YOU make me feel sick! Long time ago we all had the same blood... you, me and the refugees! Some of us are proud of it, others are blind and refuse to become "citizen of the world". I wouldn't be overly worried about your comments if you were not in Qantas recruitment. :rolleyes: This industry needs a lot of change! Go back to the KKK and give us some space!

Sorry VDD, I wanted a quick last word! I'll observe for a while, instead of writing... and hopefully this will cease. (It has to! Xenia is gona kick my butt if I go ahead! :D :D ).

Mrs. FJ

ferris
22nd Jul 2002, 06:23
Peanut pusher- not a rascist?

If you spout rascist rubbish, expect to get flamed.

I think people who can't spell should be deported, I don't want people in Australia who aren't fortunate enough to have an education. I think it's a disgrace. Anyone who can't spell should be sent back to where they came from immediately. There is no excuse for poor education. Now, where did I put my Brown Shirt? And my dictionary.

jayne
22nd Jul 2002, 08:09
well "Peanut Pusher" says it all. Why don't you stick some peanuts where the sun don't shine.........

cino2go
23rd Jul 2002, 12:07
vdd :while we're on the QF subject does anyone know if short haul permanent recruitment is around the corner..
Bad news in this department. If you want a job with short haul you will have to start as a casual. The days of starting fulltime are over

:mad:

cloud nine
23rd Jul 2002, 12:26
Yes, I also heard that this is the new and only way that QF will be recruiting for S/H. Somewhere along the grapevine I heard that most MAM casuals will get the opportunity to become permanent after 6 months or so. My guess is that it would be through another interview and a review of how you have been working.

Unfortunatley our industry has changed over the years, and to be offered permanent employment straight away with QF is definatley a minority these days. I believe that contracts and casual employment is definatley a positive move if you are willing to gamble a little and take a small risk. If you preform well, and do the right thing your bound to be offered permanent work eventually. And if not, well at least you then have gained experiance and have also had the chance to fly.:) You can always go back to doing your boring old job, and still keep on applying to other airlines. If you risk nothing you gain nothing. ;) ;)

Evacu8
23rd Jul 2002, 12:53
If MAM casuals wish to become fulltime, they will have to go through the normal recruitment process (maybe altered for them) ... as they are not employed by QF.... the same as Impulse, National Jet, Jetconnex et all have to apply off the street for permanent jobs ... dont be surprised if QF hires permanents off the street over casual crew - they have done it in the past, and will do it again. The QF philosophy seems to be 'if you accept a casual job - you want to be casual ' .

There has never been direct rights for casuals to gain permanent positions at QF (they have offered the positions in times of desperation ... but it has been rare) . And that was back when the casuals were actually employed by QF

And it would be even more-so now that the casuals are employed with MAM.

I am sure some of the MAM crew will get permanent positions when we advertise for permanent vacancies, but they certainly wont be offered them. They will have to apply and be interviewed, as they are not currently employed by QF.

Thats my understanding of it. :(

peanut pusher
23rd Jul 2002, 13:03
Qantas will eventually turn all casuals into perm. f/a. The industrial relations laws made this happen as you work the same hours as a perm. f/a if not more as a casual. After six months they must treat you as a perm. employee or get rid of you as you have been working as a perm. but under casual conditions. The commision came down heavy on this last year. Like what evacu8 typed, don't be supprised to see an external recruitment drive for perm. f/a's s/h before the end of the year. You heard it here first, inside tip, hint hint.

cloud nine
23rd Jul 2002, 22:45
Very interesting, it seems to be that there are alot of different thoughts, idea's and rumours on this topic.

If and when QF advertise for permanent employee's again, does this mean that all those employed by MAM that wish to go through the external recruitment process are looked upon in a favourable way? Or is it still just a matter of shinning through all 3 interviews again.

I find it a little strange and also unfair that QF would prefer to do an external recruitment drive, when no doubt they would have quiet a few casuals that would love the chance to go permanent.

It's a weird ol' process isn't it?:confused: :rolleyes:

leemo
23rd Jul 2002, 23:38
The MAM casuals going through recruitment now will, I think, be offerered permanent later down the line.

Qantas seem to change their minds about what they are going to do quite often. When I started I was on a 6 months contract and was told in my offer letter "This will not lead to permanent employment, you will need to reapply if permanent positions become available".

After being with QF for 6 months my contract was extended to 10 months then offered permanent. So you never no, you just have to take a risk sometimes and hope it works out.

QF have commited AU$10 billion! to expanding the fleet so will need heaps of people to crew the new aircraft.

Take whatever they offer you. In the end its all good experience to have for the future.

Leemo - QF Short Haul

PS. read a memo a few days ago which advises CSM's to always complete a SPR (Sector performance Review) as they are used for future promotions - the memo indicated that this was particularly important for casuals as it could be used in the future when deciding if individuals would be offered permanent.

I think thats a positive note.

cloud nine
24th Jul 2002, 03:36
I have to admit that Lemmo's answer does sound very promising, and actually makes some sense as to what is going on for all those people that will be employed by MAM.

I also was on a 12 month contract ( with no view to permanent work) when I started flying. 6 months into it, I became permanent. So all those that are worried about casual or contract work, my bet is that you will be safe. ;)

Evacu8
24th Jul 2002, 09:32
Either way, look to the skies people ... we have just put on 30 odd new 'recruiters' around the country.... I believe the current longhaul and MAM recruitments are going to be the first of many recruitment drives in the next year or two.

We have got a lot of aircraft arriving that will need new crew!

Good luck to all :)

vdd
24th Jul 2002, 10:31
Thanks all for jumping in with bits and pieces re. short haul recruitment. Overall, I think it sounds quite hopefull!

Cheers and regards;) :)

cabincrew
26th Jul 2002, 23:22
Hi guys, i was wondering if anyone has an interview with Qantas Long Haul, that was advertised in the paper the othe day? Let us all know how your interviews go. All the best