PDA

View Full Version : Question for solo F/A's...

skyways
17th Jul 2002, 06:42
Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if anyone reacts in any way when people aren't listening to your safety PA in particular? I know that a lot of people fly often, and if people don't pay attention its their business, but what about those people who talk over you to their mate four rows behind them?! :)

I know that the pax are the customer and it's their business if they don't want to listen, and I know they get sick of hearing it but in an aircraft the size of the SAAB, Dash 8, Brasilia etc. with only one F/A, surely it's only good for everyone to be able to hear the PA without some random person in the row behind chatting away?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

cloud nine
17th Jul 2002, 07:43
Great post Skyways,

Yes that is a problem that does face many solo f/a's on a regular basis.

I dont mind if the pax chat amongst each other during any of my PA's. But if they chat through my saftey demo, I just stop and look at them untill they stop. If this doesnt work, I have actually put the PA down walked up to them and advised them in a pleasant manner that it is CASA regulation that we have your full attention for the saftey demo. Some will say that they fly all the time and have heard it all before. I just say " thats fine, I undetrstand but the people around you may not have heard it". It always makes them stop talking. Sometimes I feel a bit harsh when doing this but reality is I dont want someone not being able to get out of an emergancy exit if needed, all because they were not listening to my PA. Unfortunatley some pax may find it a little rude, when this is said, but I just think, well, it is my job, and if you have a problem with me advising you that it is a CASA SAFTEY regulation, than go ahead, let my manager know that I am following all saftey procedures 100%. Im sure she would be more than happy to know that.

Some pax are just not aware of how important the saftey demo is, so I see no harm in advising them otherwise if needed.

Funny enough is it's always those talkative pax that are sitting there with their hand luggage on their lap and tray tables down when it's time for me to do the cabin check.

Hope this helps.... :)

cabinboy
17th Jul 2002, 09:58
Skyways,

I'm a solo f/a most times also and I couldn't agree more with the gorgeous cloud 9. I use the same technique that she does in making sure that the pax are paying attention. In most cases when I do stop and ask the pax to pay attention politely they are very apologetic and appreciate why you are doing it. ( A genuine smile and manners get you anything off a pax in this job )

Alot of the time though when briefing the exit row pax I get interrupted with the " yeh yeh i know, i've flown 100 times " response, but I still just advise them that I am only doing it because maybe the pax beside them doesn't know and that I am following CASA and airline procedure. I don't think any airline in the world could discipline a f/a for being efficient in what they are employed to do - SAFETY.

I guess if I wanted to be smart about it I would say to the exit row pax " So you've flown 100 times before sir ? Ok then, well close your eyes sir and tell me how to open the exit ! "

CB

penny_benjamin
17th Jul 2002, 10:20
I agree with my collegues.
I only stop in my PA though if the pax are too loud and potentially distracting the others who may not have heard it b4.
I read something recently about getting the job done. Don't sweat the small stuff. Just get the job done and don't let the little things get to us.
Although this was a generalisation and safety is our number one priority, I do find myself getting worked up about some of the "rude" (shall I say nicely) pax we have. I'm sure we'd all like to give them a piece of our minds at such times.
I find it hard to believe that these ppl were obviously not taught one piece of manners whilst they were growing up. :D :mad: :rolleyes: :D

penny_benjamin
18th Jul 2002, 12:45
How many times do I have to tell you Biscuit man......can I have another mintie PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't you ever learn?