PDA

View Full Version : Biggest ATPL Headache

Rote 8
29th Nov 2001, 21:42
All you fellow ATPL students out there, which topic do you find the most difficult? I will set the ball rolling with Gyroscopes - completely does my head in (only a small brain you see).

Vote now -

[Any help with gyros gratefully received]

While I am on for all the distance learning students out there who have already completed the first half of the course and who have been on a classroom brushup session, do they really make all the difference to your understanding of subjects? A fortnight seems a short time to cram everything in.

Megaton
29th Nov 2001, 23:34
Classroom brush-up sessions make an enormous difference and, I would venture, make the difference between pass and fail for some subjects. I think you'll find gyros aren't as bad as you think once somebody has explained them with a bit of hand waving. Good luck.

charles_auty
2nd Dec 2001, 00:20
Aviation Law!

Don't know why, but I just keep getting bum results in my progress checks -everything else is fine!

Cheers

Charlie Boy

thecoltster
2nd Dec 2001, 02:16
Systems exam...way too much to learn...so many angles from which questions can be asked! Sitting it again 2nd attempt on monday anyone any tips? Oh yeah and I have a nasty habit of getting 74% twice in Flight planning...anyone got any pearls of wisdom on that one either!?Cheers

superfurryanimal
2nd Dec 2001, 04:09
Autopilots - theory sounds nice and simple until presented with a JAR paper on the subject, at which point you find out just how much you are expected to know!!! As for gyroscopes - well a good teacher can make it all very easy (Mrs. S stand up and take credit!), whereas ex-Vulcan navigators might as well be explaining it in Martian.

Hope it all turns out nice in the end.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

The Stooge
2nd Dec 2001, 04:28
JAA ATPL is a headache full stop.

rebeccadblake
2nd Dec 2001, 15:27
gotta agree with "The stooge" but..

Instuments,..... ahh dont say that word! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

mboulton
2nd Dec 2001, 17:20
the place to go is Guildhall in London. I passed mine there first time at the age of 50 they teach you the subject not the questions and answers. If you want a good teacher of instruments track down Ron Bains ( Rapid Ron ) as we called him he is the best.

Ps Gyro = Rigidity in space

piperindian
2nd Dec 2001, 21:04
finding a job with your JAR ATPL will be the biggest headache
the rest is a joke in comparison.
Apparently you have already fallen into the trap.

RVR800
3rd Dec 2001, 19:31
Piperindian has it about right..

The modules that aren't covered are the
most difficult!!

1. Assessing the economic cycle & Bin Liner
2. Why loss making Airlines prefer to train in-house spending £100,000 per individual
3. Is it worth spending £50 to submit a CV
4. Why I need a single crew IR when its
superceded with the multi crew IR in an airline so that the former lapses
5. The Supply Demand curve
6. Demographics - The pilot retirement bulge (how big)
7. Are you a training risk?
8. Have you got loads of time and money to spare..
9. IFR Multi-time currency issues and the wallet
10. Whether JAA qualified pilots will immigrate or emigrate the UK shores and will the system work for or against you
11. Can you speak French German etc..
12. HAVE YOU A FALL BACK POSITION?
13. Will the CAA change the rules when you are in the game...?
14. What percentage of UK f/ATPL ATPL holders under 60years are currently flying multi-crew?

[ 04 December 2001: Message edited by: RVR800 ]

Luftwaffle
5th Dec 2001, 06:38
The biggest ATPL headache is logging 25 hours of night cross country and keeping a current instrument rating when you have two VFR aerial work jobs.