PDA

View Full Version : Retaining License Validity - EASA/FAA/TC

C20 Overture
1st Oct 2017, 15:47
Perhaps someone may provide some advice regarding keeping EASA and FAA licenses valid.

In Canada, some form of re-currency must occur within 5 years to keep a license valid, otherwise the CPL(H) flight test etc. needs to be redone.

What is necessary to keep a EASA license valid? Or a FAA license?
(Not referring to currency. Just bare bones, keeping from having to do a retest).

I fly in Canada, however also have EASA and FAA CPL(H)s (issued 4 years ago). I do a PPC each year in Canada however do not do any EASA related flying or the FAA biannual review at the moment.

Does currency in an ICAO state keep these licenses from expiring? Or is it necessary to do some flying under EASA or FAA to keep these licenses from expiring?

Many thanks.

crazydumb_pilot
1st Oct 2017, 17:45
Good question. Hope somebody will help us explaining all the details:ugh:

Happy landings,

Perhaps someone may provide some advice regarding keeping EASA and FAA licenses valid.

In Canada, some form of re-currency must occur within 5 years to keep a license valid, otherwise the CPL(H) flight test etc. needs to be redone.

What is necessary to keep a EASA license valid? Or a FAA license?
(Not referring to currency. Just bare bones, keeping from having to do a retest).

I fly in Canada, however also have EASA and FAA CPL(H)s (issued 4 years ago). I do a PPC each year in Canada however do not do any EASA related flying or the FAA biannual review at the moment.

Does currency in an ICAO state keep these licenses from expiring? Or is it necessary to do some flying under EASA or FAA to keep these licenses from expiring?

Many thanks.

Mustapha Cuppa
1st Oct 2017, 17:54
Licences issued in accordance with Part-FCL are non-expiring.

RMK
2nd Oct 2017, 09:34
As noted above neither your FAA or EASA license expire, however to use the flying privileges of either you must:

FAA: do a Biennial Flight Review which is once every two years (not biannual) which consists of 1hr flying and 1hr ground with FAA Instructor

EASA: revalidate (or renew) your relevant helicopter ratings. See here: https://www.easa.europa.eu/document-library/product-certification/typeratings-and-licence-endorsement-lists

Variable Load
2nd Oct 2017, 12:40
The UK CAA have made things very simple for pilots holding and flying on an ICAO licence (including FAA/TC) with regard to expired EASA Type Ratings.

Here is an extract from the CAA website:
"The UK CAA has adopted a derogation such that where a pilot holds a Type Rating issued by a third country and that rating is compliant with Annex I to the Convention on International Civil Aviation, the applicability of FCL.740 (b) may be based on the validity dates of the Type Rating of that other country.

The effect of this derogation is that to renew the type rating on a UK issued licence:

A pilot with a current and valid 3rd country type rating shall complete the revalidation requirements of FCL.740.A(a) and the aircraft category specific requirements for revalidation of the Part-FCL Type Rating; meaning that he must pass the proficiency check, but is not required to undergo training."

The requirements to renew a lapsed EASA Type Rating for a type that is current on an IATA licence are the same as that for an EASA Type Rating revalidation i.e. pass a PC on that type. No ATO assessment or training is required.

There was a slight complication with regard to an expired IR until about 18 months ago, in that the original rules had a "7 year past expiry, start again" clause. However this too no longer applies and it is renewed as part of the Proficiency Check.

The rules are fairly pragmatic - surprisingly! However note that this only applies to expired type ratings, so the rating has to pre-exist on your EASA licence. It's not a short cut to getting an initial type rating.

C20 Overture
4th Oct 2017, 07:12
That is all understood and gratefully received.

Thank you for all the comments and advice.