PDA

View Full Version : Florida Flight schools - Advice appreciated

EchoKiloEcho
6th May 2010, 22:07
Hi,
Can anyone recomend a flying school in Florida (or any other part of the USA) to convert a JAA/ICAO CPL ME IR to an FAA CPL ME IR?

I would like to choose a good flying school because if I am on an M-1 visa I will not be able to change once I am in the USA. I would prefer a school with good availability (instructors & aeroplanes), and G1000 glass panels if possible.

Someone recomended 'University Air Center' Gainesville, FL?

Can you recomend any other flying schools? :ok:

wheelbrace
6th May 2010, 23:31
I would approach this from the negative - please do not touch any of the Florida schools with UK CAA accreditation.

There have to be FAA schools that are better than this bunch of wets. They spend their waking hours bitching about each other and dreaming up cunning wheezes to circumvent the principles and rules laid down by the UK CAA for them to act on their behalf.

You have the whole of the USA from which to choose. Have you considered converting in Norwich? I know there is an FAA school there...

I wish you happy hunting!

Continental Drifter
7th May 2010, 09:54
EchoKiloEcho,

I've just returned back to the UK from Florida having done a similar thing - I have a JAA Commercial (no IR yet) and needed to get a FAA CPL ME-IR.
The school I eventually choose, after a lot of research, was Europe-American Aviation based at Naples, Florida.

Quite simply, they were excellent. The standard of instruction (from 1000hr+ instructors), the aircraft (G1000 equipped DA-40 & DA-42), the availability and the way the school is efficiently run, is second to none.

Flight training in Florida gets a bad reputation in Europe, mainly due to the 'JAA' schools out there (rightly so) but I found EAA ( which is just an FAA organisation) to be superb.
PM me if you want more details

stupix
8th May 2010, 13:11
I am currently training with Endeavor Flight training in Miami, very good, new planes all G1000 equipped and very good career instructors.
Can thoroughly recommend them.

B2N2
10th May 2010, 18:17
if I am on an M-1 visa I will not be able to change once I am in the USA

Yes you will be abe to change on an M-1 visa.
You actually have 6 months to do so.
The caveat is that the school needs to amicably agree, they are obliged to transfer you in the SEVIS system.
Most do some don't. Get in writing beforehand that they will transfer you if you are not satisfied.

flyhighspeed300
11th May 2010, 09:53
Why not do your FAA ratings here in the u.k. There are several schools in the u.k that could FAA ratings. Unless the pound picks up then it could be a better option to do the ratings here in the u.k.

youngskywalker
11th May 2010, 13:32
Availability of an examiner in the UK is the crutch. When they do visit they charge mega $$. Trust me, I've done it and it's not worth it, head to the States!

I can recommend Sunstate Aviation Kissimee.

kimsmith
29th Oct 2015, 07:32
In case you are looking for a good flying school in Florida, I would suggest Jacob Flight services. One of my friend had pursued Degree in Aviation for Fixed Wing program from there. The main focus they put is on your practical exposure to your commercial pilot training.

Hamo09
23rd Sep 2017, 18:43
Good day to you all.

I'm looking for some advice and feel a little background about my situation would be useful.

I'm a 30 year old British Woman living in Grand Cayman. My husband and I relocated here for his work and we are now in the position that I can finally learn to fly. For financial reasons my husband will have to remain in Cayman whilst I relocate to undertake training. I had come to the conclusion due to the close proximity to look at flight schools in Florida.

I have been enquiring with Florida Institute of Technology (F.I.T) as they offer a dual licence course (FAA & EASA). I felt this would be a good option so that we would be able to return to the UK or Europe in the future.

My question. Can anyone recommend flight schools in Florida? Or even better have any experience with them.

I also wanted to ask about the dual licence and would this be a good way to go?

I appreciate any input or advice.

Many thanks

Captain Stravaigin
28th Sep 2017, 10:30
My advice would be to do EASA PPL and then FAA CPL (which is basically an advanced PPL .

Use the intervening flight hours to do get more quality experience like building x-country and night hours etc so that u r ready 4 t FAA CPL.

Cannot comment on FL flight schools as it is a long time since I did mine.

GaboSmith
2nd Feb 2020, 00:33
Hola everyone!

I just got my bachelor's here in my home country so now, in order to pursue my dream of becoming an airline pilot I'm deciding to move to the US since here we don't have a "good" yet trustable flight school sector honestly.

I've done my research and I'm quite informed about the options and stuff. However, I've seen manyy negative reviews about every school down in FL!!

I would just like to know if maybe one of you that might be up to date about the topic; help about letting me know about any good school where i might get all my certifications in a reliable environment, with good quality instructors and without hidden fares. My biggest fear is going to school that i trust and give my money and end up in an institution interested only in emptying my pockets. Btw, i think that the best program that might fit to me is the Part 141 one.

Im pretty excited about this journey that I've decided to follow and im lloking forward to hear any previous experience about any of you or advice.

Thank you very much in advance :)

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Feb 2020, 20:15
Have a look at Crystal Aero Group at Crystal River, Florida. I know several people who have done licences there in the last year, all seem very happy with the experience. They have a facebook page and website.

TangoXray
9th Mar 2021, 19:02
Agreed on CAG. I flew there in the late eighties and from what I hear they are still a decent family run school. Nice little uncontrolled airfield too....

gerpols
11th Mar 2021, 19:27
Done all my FAA training with Paris Air in Vero Beach.
Great school, great place to stay, had a great time !

awair
11th Mar 2021, 20:18
Technically you cannot 'convert' anything. Although prior training and experience is accepted.

First you'll need a license verification from both the CAA & FAA.
You can sit the optional Knowledge Test “Instrument for a foreign pilots”.
Your new (foreign based) FAA certificate will give you private privileges, (and IFR).
Before you solo/PIC, you'll need a Flight Review (and IPC).
These would typically be completed as part of a checkout process anyway.

The next stage will be training, as required, to meet the ACS standards for the Multi & Instrument check-ride.
Before your check, you'll take the 2 Knowledge Tests, and verify you meet the aeronautical experience required.

If you want SEL privileges as well, you'll need another check which includes some manoeuvres you may not be familiar with. If you have the hours/competence for the EASA CPL/IR, it shouldn't take too long to complete.

I’d recommend a Part 61 school, rather than Part 141, as the latter has to fly according to the syllabus.

You'll also need TSA approval for both the Multi & Instrument. But since you already have the “foreign qualification” this can sometimes be conducted on a 'B' Visa, which gives you flexibility to change schools.

I realise this is an old thread, but since the question comes up regularly, this is an accurate summary.

Good luck and enjoy.