PDA

View Full Version : Info on ATC ops please

Biggles Flies Undone
16th Jul 2002, 14:57
I’m doing some research on ATC ops, particularly with reference to use of the Upper Airways. I’ve tried various web sites but it’s difficult to get a clear idea of how the whole system fits together (the FAA site in particular is very difficult to navigate) – so I thought I’d ask the experts!

Is there a common way of handling traffic world-wide, or is Europe for instance different to the US? Any guidance would be much appreciated as I need to present a clear overview that non-aviators will be able to grasp.

Just in case anyone is worried, I’m not a journo – 10W will vouch for me!

Thanks

FWA NATCA
16th Jul 2002, 21:17
Biggles,

To ask controllers in the US go to the NATCA public web site at http://www.natca.org/PublicBBS.asp . You'll need to join the BBS but you will be able to post your questions and recieve answers from NATCA (National Air Traffic Controllers Association) controllers employed by the FAA.

Mike
FWA

10W
17th Jul 2002, 10:38
BFU ..... never heard of him !!!! ;)

Perhaps you need to tell the company that you need to do some field research and come up for a visit .... bring your company credit card and all will be revealed.

Seriously though ... generally things are done pretty much the same worldwide under the umbrella of ICAO procedures. Each State does of course have it's own little nuances and differences within the general procedures. These are catered for at boundaries by having legal documents laying down the procedures which are agreed between the adjoining ATC Centre airspaces. For example, the transition between using Flight Levels in feet at one ACC and changing to using Metric levels in another (as you would find when crossing from European airspace to Russian).

If you email me what the research target audience is and the angle you want to concentrate on, I'll get back to you with a more in depth description aimed at answering your queries.

Scott Voigt
17th Jul 2002, 22:06
Biggles;

After sitting in on many sessions all around Europe, I can say that we pry the aircraft apart pretty much the same way between here and there. Where the differences are vast are the way that the airspace is set up, who can and can't fly in that airspace and then what other sorts of rules we have for getting aircraft from point A to point B. It is pretty much night and day between us and a lot of Europe...

regards

Biggles Flies Undone
18th Jul 2002, 11:09
Many thanks all :) 10W I may drop you an e mail shortly – cheers for the offer.

This is nothing heavy, just for an article in a monthly publication where we try to give our clients a broader view of the infrastructure of commercial aviation.

Lieutenant Dan
18th Jul 2002, 21:58
That'll be the Daily Mail then?:)