PDA

View Full Version : EASA ATPL (H) Self Study Order

flyingtonka
17th Sep 2017, 14:01
I am planning to self study for the EASA ATPL(H) and was wondering; in which order did you study each subject and take each exam.
I am fortunate enough to be able to study one subject and take one exam locally. Me: FAA ATPL(H) 6000hr+ Multi Crew

Thanks In Advance

paco
17th Sep 2017, 15:41
" one subject and take one exam locally"

You are only allowed 6 times in the exam room and there are fourteen subjects....

Suggest aiming to do them in 5 sessions, then you have a backup because you are also only allowed 4 tries at each subject.

Our grouping is as follows

Human Factor
Airframes
POF
Systems
Engines
Instruments
law
Ops
performance
M & B
Radio Nav
Comms
G nav
met
Flight Planning

Would suggest taking Instruments with Nav, though, because they share compasses and the INS, also performance and ops as they share stuff as well (hence the groupings above).

phil

Flying Bull
17th Sep 2017, 16:59
Why spreading time?
Just do all 14 in one go 😉

paco
17th Sep 2017, 17:08
We recommend that as well...

MightyGem
17th Sep 2017, 20:19
Just do all 14 in one go
I discovered the meaning of stress halfway through exam number 2. :eek:

Out of interest, does the Performance/Flight Planning still get you to plan a trip in an airliner?

rudestuff
17th Sep 2017, 20:22
In an ideal world you could take one subject at a time, take the exam and move on to the next one, but the system doesn't allow it. I would suggest three at a time, 3/3/3/3/2 which will give you a spare sitting. If you do the larger/harder subjects first you could roll any failures over into the next sitting. With your experience I'm guessing you're​ just interested in 14 passes? It's probably worth smashing the question banks and trying your luck, fluking a few and accepting a some fails. (Probably not the best advice for someone who's aiming to impress with a high average and first time passes).

Flying Bull
17th Sep 2017, 20:40
I discovered the meaning of stress halfway through exam number 2. :eek:

Out of interest, does the Performance/Flight Planning still get you to plan a trip in an airliner?

Sorry, i think, if you can't stand stress, helicopter flying shouldn't be your profession....
Stress is a Part of the job- time/weather/weight/ problems are constant, mechanical problems sometimes spicing up the job!

Performance for me was helicopter.

flyingtonka
17th Sep 2017, 21:22
Thanks Phil - always appreciated.

paco
18th Sep 2017, 04:20
No airliners, relatively few graphs, but that is increasing and they are not all from CAP 758. Mainly regulation based, especially with obstacle clearance.

phil

handysnaks
18th Sep 2017, 08:16
Flying Bull, MG managed a full flying career, all the way to retirement, so I thnk he had his stress management fairly well sorted (I believe he took up street fighting as a form of stress relief):E:O