PDA

View Full Version : FI Rating Florida

shamrock88
13th Sep 2017, 18:31
Hi, been planning on attending EFT in Florida for their EASA FI Rating.

Can't find any recent info on their FI course on the forums.

Can anyone provide recent experience of this course?

Piltdown Man
13th Sep 2017, 20:31
Do the company still exist post Irma? A salutory lesson for those contemplating flying in this part of the world. Imagine if Irma passed through just as you started your course or had just coughed up and were waiting to start.

dera
15th Sep 2017, 01:48
If you want to be ripped off by their questionable Hobbs wiring practices, go right ahead.

shamrock88
15th Sep 2017, 08:31
dera,

Out of interest what do you mean?

gerpols
15th Sep 2017, 09:12
Dera, please explain your comment.
I want to do my EASA FI there also.

gerpols
15th Sep 2017, 09:28
Shamrock, I sent them a mail yesterday.

shamrock88
21st Sep 2017, 11:19
Did you receive a response?

arrowcapitan
21st Sep 2017, 11:24
avoid at all cost .

gerpols
21st Sep 2017, 16:42
Arrowcaptain, please explain yourself.
Just saying to avoid at all cost doesn`t help anyone !

dera
22nd Sep 2017, 00:54
Hobbs is wired to master switch, unlike factory. So you're paying for every moment you do your "post-flight exterior checks" etc.
DT, their instructor, is a great guy though.

rudestuff
22nd Sep 2017, 08:11
What if you timed from brakes off to brakes on and paid for that, regardless of what the Hobbs said? I can't see how they could charge you more than the FAA definition of flight time, without holding themselves open to a massive lawsuit.

dera
23rd Sep 2017, 01:33
That's not how it works.

B2N2
23rd Sep 2017, 01:41
Do the company still exist post Irma? A salutory lesson for those contemplating flying in this part of the world. Imagine if Irma passed through just as you started your course or had just coughed up and were waiting to start.

Barely any damage on the East Coast.
Any flight school would have been open again in 2-3 days.
Barely worth mentioning.

cavok_flyer
23rd Sep 2017, 09:41
What if you timed from brakes off to brakes on and paid for that, regardless of what the Hobbs said? I can't see how they could charge you more than the FAA definition of flight time, without holding themselves open to a massive lawsuit.

Hobbs time is standard in the US. All the a/c I have chartered there had the Hobbs as the basis for the invoice.

rudestuff
23rd Sep 2017, 18:27
I'm familiar with the US way of doing things, all my flights were logged on Hobbs time in decimal. If never logged t/o landing times until I flew in the UK. If you're flight training, you need hours anyway so an inaccurate Hobbs meter isn't really an issue (for them)

Reverserbucket
26th Sep 2017, 14:01
For flight training you need quality and experience - particularly if training as an instructor. If you accept inaccurate Hobbs times for recording of experience, you may as well add a few Parker Pen hours for good measure.

rudestuff
26th Sep 2017, 15:59
I've added some brackets for context. The point I was making is that the only time you should log is chock​ to chock. The problem is over there they all use a Hobbs meter. That's how they charge so that's what they log.

gerpols
30th Sep 2017, 17:38
I have had a response from Antonia, the sales director.
But they are not fast-movers.
Lets wait and see.
I want to convert my FAA CFI to EASA FI.
Will keep you informed.
Enjoy, whatever you are doing.

dera
1st Oct 2017, 03:20
I'm familiar with the US way of doing things, all my flights were logged on Hobbs time in decimal. If never logged t/o landing times until I flew in the UK. If you're flight training, you need hours anyway so an inaccurate Hobbs meter isn't really an issue (for them)

So you're happy to pay almost $300/hr when you check your landing lights work after a daytime flight?

Man, you are a good customer...

gerpols
1st Oct 2017, 09:31
You should check the landing-lights before the flight.....:)
But I guess in this case it does not matter.....:}

dera
1st Oct 2017, 16:09
At that company, you check them before, and after... :rolleyes:

gerpols
1st Oct 2017, 16:39
Oke student pilot, my name is Chuck Yeager, I am your instructor today.
Lets start with the preflight checklist.

PREFLIGHT CHECKLIST:

1. MASTER SWITCH ON
2. DO THE WALKAROUND (AT LEAST FOR 20 MINUTES)
3. HAVE A COFFEE BREAK,MASTER SWITCH ON

ETC,ETC,ETC:}:

dera
1st Oct 2017, 16:58
Wish it was a joke, but in that school it's not.

ar1989
16th Jul 2019, 17:11
Has anyone here done the FI course with EFT?

custardpsc
17th Jul 2019, 06:36
typically Hobbs receive power through the master switch but are also wired in series with an oil pressure switch so they don't run until theengine starts

B2N2
17th Jul 2019, 10:21
typically Hobbs receive power through the master switch but are also wired in series with an oil pressure switch so they don't run until theengine starts

Older aircraft frequently have a Hobbs meter installed which is only connected to the electrical system and not to the oil pressure sensor.