PDA

View Full Version : Class 2 medical - Chemotherapy

technicolor1975
5th Sep 2017, 18:11
Does chemotherapy leave any marks that can preclude a fit Class 2 assessment post successful treatment?

Radgirl
6th Sep 2017, 13:32
Not sure what you mean by marks. If you need a line or port yes there will be permanent marks. Many people who have intravenous chemotherapy via a peripheral cannula also have permanent marks

However marks dont effect the medical, the underlying pathology and effect of the chemotherapy do

Chemotherapy in the main is given for life threatening disease so if needed there is seldom any alternative I am afraid. It must then be declared at any future medical as to do otherwise is a criminal offense and voids any insurance. If you have been advised to have chemotherapy I would proceed and then discuss with your regulator

Good luck

wiggy
6th Sep 2017, 13:55
Wot rad girl said.

1. Some chemo is administered orally (tablet etc) so marks from chemo may not be an issue, but TBH if you are being treated for cancer chances are you are probably going have needles and lines stuck in you from time to time for all sorts of reasons during treatment (even if it's just for the often all too frequent blood tests) ....frankly "track" marks are the least of your worries....and you may not end up with any.

2. A history of chemo in itself doesn't automatically preclude you from holding a Class 2 or even a Class 1. People have lost Class 1and Class 2's due cancer but post treatment have got their original medical category restored... but there can be issues with some of the families of drugs that are some times used..I'm not sure but I suspect that is what radgirl is alluding to with the comment about pathology etc .

3. For all sorts of reasons any chemo treatment really should be declared as part of your history.

If it's something effecting you personally and you are worried about chemo PM me.

technicolor1975
7th Sep 2017, 14:24
Thanks for taking time to reply.
By "marks" I mean any permanent internal damage, for example in the nervous system.

Radgirl
8th Sep 2017, 09:36
The drugs that are used nowadays are far more specific and targeted but this is a hugh area and I cannot be specific without having all your notes, the actual regime to be used etc etc. This is a question your oncologist would expect to discuss with you, and I would suggest you talk to him