PDA

View Full Version : Thinking ahead

Adam S
27th Aug 2017, 09:48
Hello everyone.
I am 29 years old, busy with my ATP exams, and am trying to think ahead, what would be the best course for me to take in order to get a good job, and preferably in the UK.

The way I see it, there are 3 paths to choose from:
1) "The expensive path". In the UK we are basically talking about two schools in particular, you know which ones, which will offer some job services to their graduates. After having said that, I do know some guys how went to one of these schools and are struggling to get a job or have gotten a bad job (including moving away and lousy pay).

2) Wings alliance. I don't have much infirmation about this path, but to my understanding the training happens at one of their co-ops schools, and an additional class training is provided to help pass interviews. Overall it will cost about the same as the above.

3) "The cheap option" - which means completing my training in one of the cheaper schools in the UK and try my luck with getting some interviews later.

Assuming money in not a consideration, what is the best course of action for me to take to get a good first officer job in the UK?
How muck will my ATPL grades matter?
What else can I do to improve my chances?
I would love some advice from some of you more experiences guys who have been through this. I see many people who are not even been called to interveiws and I am worried.

Thank you!

rudestuff
27th Aug 2017, 10:13
I'm assuming 'ATP' was a typo, and you're actually British. If you're studying for your ATPLs, then you already have a PPL and are going modular. This rules out a few big players, the kind that only hire rich 12 year olds, but don't worry there are still plenty of airlines who value life experience. My advice would be to go for the cheapest convenient ATO for the CPL and IR, then spend wisely on the MCC/JOC - this is where you really get to show what you can do in an airline environment. Finding that first job is always going to be the hardest part, but you have to get the licence first. Then you do whatever it takes. Seducing someone from HR works, as does making friends with current pilots. I got hired because I rang up HR and asked if I could send a CV.
You mentioned moving away. 99% of pilot jobs will involve moving, probably too a different country. You can't be fussy. You mentioned ATPL grades. Some airlines will use them to whittle thousands down to a few, and good grades should mean that you will find company ATPL tests easier, but a pass is the most important thing and you have to work with what you've got, you'll forget most of it in a year anyway. Application strategy is what you need. Just doing a mail shot and waiting for the offers to roll in might not be enough.

VariablePitchP
27th Aug 2017, 13:20
If money is no issue then CTC/OAA are obviously the way forward as you'll most likely be in an A320 within two years. No need for you to feel guilty about buying your way in with an expensive school, if you've earned the money then It's yours to spend!

That said if you have cracked on with the modular route already then you have unfortunately committed yourself to that route. Nothing wrong with that per se but if money really is no issue then why waste the extra year getting your licence followed by two-three years flying tiddly planes before getting a seat in a shiny jet which I assume is what you're after.

Your friend who is struggling to get a job after training isn't unique but firstly you need to ask if they got the 85% average in groundschool with less than three fails and first series CPL/IR tests. Without those it doesn't matter where you trained, you'll struggle to walk into employment quickly.

Hawker 800
27th Aug 2017, 13:29
Nothing wrong with that per se but if money really is no issue then why waste the extra year getting your licence followed by two-three years flying tiddly planes before getting a seat

That statement of yours sums up what's wrong with aviation in Europe.

Adam S
27th Aug 2017, 18:44
Thanks guys.
To clarify, yes, I am going modular. I can not spare 100K on training.
What I referred to as "the expensive path" is completing what there is to complete with CTC/OAA.

gfunc
27th Aug 2017, 20:45
Wings Alliance will definitely not cost you the same as the integrated schools, that's the whole thinking behind it!

It'll cost you pretty much the same as your third option as most of the members of the Alliance are 'normal' flying schools. The MCC/JOC phase plus the support as the final part is on par with other providers in terms of cost. They have a cost estimation thing on their website.