PDA

View Full Version : Aerobatic fire fighting

mickjoebill
20th Aug 2017, 13:42
At first I thought it was a video game....
Comments suggest the location is the Border of Spain and Portugal.

https://www.facebook.com/thehelicopterpage/videos/1518917641464541/

Mjb

500 Fan
20th Aug 2017, 14:02
Is each cycle he flies over-torquing the transmission?

From my single spin in a Squirrel as a passenger, I remember a horn sounded as the pilot performed a fairly tame quick-stop. He explained that a sensor detected when any stresses above the normal were detected and sounded in good time to allow the pilot to rectify the situation. The horn must have been on a lot during this flight.

500 Fan.

Nubian
20th Aug 2017, 17:50
Is each cycle he flies over-torquing the transmission?

From the slow climb, I'd suggest: nope!

From my single spin in a Squirrel as a passenger, I remember a horn sounded as the pilot performed a fairly tame quick-stop. He explained that a sensor detected when any stresses above the normal were detected and sounded in good time to allow the pilot to rectify the situation. The horn must have been on a lot during this flight.

500 Fan.

As you say, ''my single spin as a passenger'' and sounds like your pilot gave you a BS explanation about the horn.... :suspect:

In the tame Q-stop of yours, your pilot managed to get the high NR warning on. With low collective setting a little G-loading (aft cyclic) it will activate easily, unless you know what you're doing... unlike your pilot it seems.

The ''sensor'' (separate system from high and low NR) senses an ''over limit'' generally, N1/Ng overspeed or over-torque. It sounds either before it reaches the t/o transient limit if the inputs are abrupt, or if you've been over transient limit and if it has been high enough and for long enough in which you'll get an ''over limit'' message on your VEMD screen

This is for B3's and VEMD equipped B2's, not applicable for the older models with analog gauges though.

In this video, I can't see the pilot exceeding any limits from the handling, but it is quite sporty manoeuvring for sure. Looks like he has done this more than once or twice before....

Fareastdriver
20th Aug 2017, 18:17
He could make the grade as a muster pilot.

500 Fan
20th Aug 2017, 19:01
I hope this is not our friend from the video.

http://gulftoday.ae/portal/86e9ddaa-a89b-43a2-b2df-38da86f9dca0.aspx

Modtro
21st Aug 2017, 08:34
Here are a few more links to the same event, long and short version.

PS. Edited as I messed them up

LdZmE0o4QWc

7YUQLGxdPZM

ZhuubHeiQyU

sherpa
21st Aug 2017, 16:19
A bambi belly hooked…I’m not impressed. Just another cowboy. Could be done a lot smoother

Nubian
21st Aug 2017, 21:05
A bambi belly hooked…I’m not impressed. Just another cowboy. Could be done a lot smoother

He-he, yeah ok.... you're then man....:D

Reefdog
25th Aug 2017, 04:10
Bambi short hooked not impressed
100 foot line would have been lots better.
I'd say he is a show pony for the cameras and a short lived show pony at that.
He wouldn't be flying my machines even mustering

chutedragger
25th Aug 2017, 07:16
Not to mention the completely un effective bucketing! Lol....at that speed and height...the only thing they might have been doing was changing the humidity!!

spencer17
26th Aug 2017, 06:14
Very professional comments from the professionals.
Agree with "sherpa" that it could be a bit smoother.
I personally prefer to fly the bambi short on grass- and bush fires.
Forest fires require longer lines, I agree.