PDA

View Full Version : BP Downdraft Video

NickLappos
18th Aug 2017, 18:42
worth a watch, forgive me if it has made the rounds. And thanks to any Ppruners who made this it is brilliant.

09bvuYRKwwc

Self loading bear
18th Aug 2017, 21:02
Yes, Great video.
Saw it on Linkedin

SLB

Carbon Bootprint
18th Aug 2017, 23:12
Very nicely done, indeed. I'll be sending this to my group to (hopefully) distribute down the chain. While there's been a lot of attention paid to the machines themselves lately, other than the commute itself, this is what the folks on the rig need to be aware of. It's also good they used as an example the current machine of use in the NS, the S92. Thanks, Nick! :ok:

detgnome
18th Aug 2017, 23:43
It's worth remembering that rotorwash is not just a factor of helicopter size. As an ex 412 and current AW139 pilot, I have personal experience of the issues these 'smaller' types can cause - i.e. exactly the same, all be it in a smaller environment.

Carbon Bootprint
19th Aug 2017, 00:55
It's worth remembering that rotorwash is not just a factor of helicopter size. As an ex 412 and current AW139 pilot, I have personal experience of the issues these 'smaller' types can cause - i.e. exactly the same, all be it in a smaller environment.
Absolutely. The main point the BP video makes (IMO, anyway) is that the downdraft may affect things for which a number of various groups/individuals have responsibility. Each group needs to do a risk assessment and take appropriate measures to mitigate the risk.

As I deal with a number of different companies, I'm sure some are better at this than others. It's a good reminder for those that need to up their game.

My remark about the S92 was that it is a machine in current common use and not the "other one," which might be a bit of distraction at the moment with rig crews. But I agree it holds true for any helo.

Fareastdriver
19th Aug 2017, 08:51
Being a bit picky. Do NS pilots wear bonedomes now?

John Eacott
19th Aug 2017, 09:17
I'm quite impressed that they've developed an aerofoil that creates lift while rotating in the direction of trailing edge first :p

Hot_LZ
19th Aug 2017, 09:20
FED,

That would cost ££. Most companies still ban their pilots from wearing them.

LZ

Fareastdriver
19th Aug 2017, 12:18
aerofoil that creates lift while rotating in the direction of trailing edge first

It's also going the wrong way for a S92. Could be stroboscopic effect.

Self loading bear
19th Aug 2017, 16:24
It's also going the wrong way for a S92. Could be stroboscopic effect.

If we start knit picking:
The whole first part is awfully sunny,
Not representative for average North Sea average conditions.
Only when the simulaties windspeeds are shown it is quite realistic: Dark with apperently large down poures

Cheers SLB