PDA

View Full Version : Bristows Q1 2018 result

NumptyAussie
8th Aug 2017, 10:46
A lazy $50M loss even after selling a second hand AWSAR S92 for $40M!

http://ir.bristowgroup.com/mobile.view?c=91226&v=203&d=1&id=2291831

Unregistered_
8th Aug 2017, 11:05
Wow, amazing reading. Africa is the only bright light, but on a small revenue base. Everything else is haemorrhaging cash.

helicrazi
8th Aug 2017, 11:25
2018? mystic meg working for bristow? or is Q1 2018 doors closed?

NumptyAussie
8th Aug 2017, 11:31
2018? mystic meg working for bristow? or is Q1 2018 doors closed?

I know Wikipedia is almost as reliable as the famed Meg (old time Sun reader here) but fiscally, years are usually defined as the year they end..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiscal_year

helicrazi
8th Aug 2017, 11:44
Learn something new every day! I don't think any operators are in a good position, it's all just a matter of time...

gulliBell
8th Aug 2017, 11:57
A lazy $50M loss even after selling a second hand AWSAR S92 for $40M!

$40M for a used SAR S92? I'm stunned at that sale price.

lowfat
8th Aug 2017, 12:15
Not your bog standard self loading freight machine.
Factor in the winches x2 ,flir turret ,trakka beam and euronav 7 mission console mucho dinereo
Also virtually brand new bought by captain america and his cronies for a contract they didn't win.
At least they didn't blame Brexit in this report.

The Sultan
8th Aug 2017, 13:28
Guili

You need to consider that Canadian military S-92's are $200m apiece.

minigundiplomat
8th Aug 2017, 15:12
Deeply concerning that they are burning so much cash so quickly, and yet the traditional methods of raising liquidity must be closing off. Captain America must have a Plan B........

Self loading bear
8th Aug 2017, 20:48
At least they didn't blame Brexit in this report.

But they do mention:

....and an unfavorable impact from changes in foreign currency exchange rates compared to the June 2016 quarter of $18.8 million, which related mostly to the depreciation in the British pound sterling. .....

Which is in principle also due to Brexit.

Cheers SLB

satsuma
8th Aug 2017, 21:44
The business model in the helicopter industry simply doesn't work these days.

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
8th Aug 2017, 22:40
Became very top heavy after the take over. So many "senior managers" and meetings for meetings sake. Their contractual corporate charges must be huge; no wonder they can't compete anymore. Shame, they used to be a great company.

NEO

gulliBell
9th Aug 2017, 01:12
Off on a bit of a tangent here, but there is some merit in the thought of oil companies owning their own helicopters and helicopter maintenance capability, and running the whole show privately. Like the Esso model. It has to be cheaper than paying contractors to do the job, with all those contractor overheads of top heavy senior managers and meetings for meetings sake, and maintaining the higher standard of "for hire" regulatory compliance, and shareholders expecting dividends from profits etc etc. Safety statistics are also likely in favour of this approach.

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
9th Aug 2017, 21:49
Trinidad is probably by far the most profitable contract that Bristow have and the revenue from there is anything but small.

So a Global company will survive because Trinidad will hold them up ? Somehow I doubt it.

NEO

Unregistered_
9th Aug 2017, 22:36
Not quite everything.
The operation in Trinidad has 6 AW139's and 1 S92 on contract and that base is far from "haemorrhaging cash".
In fact, excluding the SAR contract, Trinidad is probably by far the most profitable contract that Bristow have and the revenue from there is anything but small.
What report are you looking at, or am I reading it wrong?:confused:

"...a decrease in revenue in Trinidad and a decrease in revenue in Brazil"
$1.2M loss in the Americas. Revenue down 236%.

Remembering of course, this is for 3 months, not a year.

Unregistered_
9th Aug 2017, 22:50
Fair enough. I don't have that level of local knowledge, just commenting on whats presented.

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
9th Aug 2017, 22:54
Me too.

NEO

lowfat
10th Aug 2017, 18:53
I believe we have a new target Zero..... Profit...

Hot_LZ
10th Aug 2017, 21:20
Financially heading towards the drain and still introducing unbelievable levels of corporate crap that are simply not required. All while paying eye watering severance payments to directors and yearly retentions to those they want to keep.

LZ

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
10th Aug 2017, 21:46
Such a shame; after 25 years with Bristow (during which I was treated badly by one opinionated Manager then extremely well by another in my time of need; there is another thread on here about that), it is truly sad to watch this decline after the sell outs and multiple rapes/asset strippings, all because the people in Houston can't adjust and only seem to want to preserve their own positions.

Classic short sighted self interest.

NEO

nowherespecial
12th Aug 2017, 20:01
BRS now have the same problem CHC had, too many idle aircraft. BRS financed theirs rather than leasedwhich means their corporate debt is lagely unsecured (with exceptions) and structured differently from CHC. These results continue to not be good.

NumptyAussie
13th Aug 2017, 08:12
BRS now have the same problem CHC had, too many idle aircraft. BRS financed theirs rather than leasedwhich means their corporate debt is lagely unsecured (with exceptions) and structured differently from CHC. These results continue to not be good.

If, as you say, Bristows financed their aircraft, then at least they can sell the equity in the asset. That is something I believe CHC could not do, hence rushing for the shelter of Chapter 11 protection.

minigundiplomat
13th Aug 2017, 14:17
If, as you say, Bristows financed their aircraft, then at least they can sell the equity in the asset. That is something I believe CHC could not do, hence rushing for the shelter of Chapter 11 protection.

Many of those aircraft will have been financed pre-2014 at a premium. Demand is now oversupplied and capital values have dropped. You're correct that they could release some equity, but that's addressing a symptom, not the disease.

The cash burn is far too high, and unless they can reduce operating costs, releasing equity will just give them a short lived period of breathing room before they burn through the equity and run out of options.

TIMTS
13th Aug 2017, 14:55
At least they are branching out...

Here's one of their 76s flying for Blade in New York, seen here loading pax in East Hampton.

https://s28.postimg.org/uyklaiqz1/Photo_Jul_31_1_20_40_PM.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/m3jr0026h/)

After 7 years with the company, it is a bit strange to see a Bristow 76 flying "high paying" passengers in NYC.