PDA

View Full Version : My ATPL studies stalled..How best to get back into the rhythm?

DesertStorm
5th Aug 2017, 07:19
Folks,

I embarked upon the ATPL studies and registered with ProPilot/CTC (as they were back then) and have had the books for a couple of years now. Made good progress with the studying (when I had the time) but found "time" to be a scarce comodity due to new job at the time and a 1.5 hour commute each way driving (which is dead time).. and I have just recently less than a month been married! Life basically got in the way..

No excuse really.. as some may see it but thats the god honest truth.

I now understand CTC have been taken over by L3..Add to that exam questions changing and it hasnt helped in formulating a plan in about getting back into it.

During my time with CTC..no one really followed up with me and it was left to own devices. Wonder if its the same with others like Bristol?

CTC/PP are quite text heavy and I paid £970 at the time for Module 1. Thinking if a change of provider to BGS would be worth a shot?

This would mean that I would have to change subjects for Mod 1 with BGS and start fresh though and could take even longer.. :/

For anyone that has done DL and experienced the same 'life getting in the way'..whats the best way to get back in the swing of things?

I have previously been very close to sitting the first sitting for Met, POF, M&B, Comms but always felt I needed that little bit more time and stalled the exams.. anxiety probaby after hearing views about needing to pass first time blah blah..so always stalled booking them.. However, progress tests have all been in the high 80%.

I'm taking the modular route and mid to late 30s at the moment.

Taking a sabatical from work at the moment is not feasible for another 6 months...spent a small fortune on marriage.

Any advice welcome. just looking to get back in the swings and hopefully get them out by the next year or 15 months?.

Possibly even consider tuition..

Being a newlywed I am also mindful of the need to give each other time..

Going on my Honeymoon and sitting in a 777-300ER and also going on European Flyouts in my PA28 and Mooney has helped keep he passion alive and reignited the fire in the belly to bash these exams out..

Sound familiar?

Thank You.

Council Van
5th Aug 2017, 08:55
Obviously I know nothing of your financial position but Newly wed catches my eye along with your age, does your spouse understand the financial and time commitment required to achieve a professional licence without a guaranteed positive outcome?

"my PA28 and Mooney"? If you own two aircraft I would stick with the day job, fly for fun, keep earning the money and retire early. I can not think of many of my colleagues who own their own aircraft and personally can not even afford to hire a light aircraft as an SFO on a shiney jet.

Ultimately you have to decide what you want to do and motivate yourself, becoming a professional pilot usually requires sacrifices and I made many over the years.

Transsonic2000
5th Aug 2017, 12:51
Reading all of this, sounds to me like you're not really the kind of person suited for distance learning (which is ok since this is not for everyone) and secondly I have the impression that you are somehow trying to find excuses for your own lack of study discipline. Distance learning takes a lot of discipline and determination! It's all up to you if you are among those who will make it to the finish line or not! As already mentioned here, you must make scarifies! During the time when I was studying for the ATP exams (DL as well) I literally had no social life anymore. I was mainly focusing on the studies! It was a tough time, lost my father during that time, followed by a hardship of my personal life and had to move several times. It was very difficult to keep up the motivation and keep on going. At times I found myself struggling, but I never gave up on accomplishing that mission! I think of the ATP studies as a kind of pre-selection where the wheat is separated from the chaff.

I believe that you must make some changes if you want to accomplish the goal of finishing up the ATP exams! Might want to consider going full time, but be aware this still requires determination and discipline! It's also important to have the support and understating of your wife, otherwise it wont be possible to be successful!

By the way, if you wait until you feel ready to take the exam, this moment will never come, since the scope of the ATP exams is far to extensive for that. Hit the question database hard, be prepared as good as you can and then go for the exams. But if you're waiting for this moment of confidence, I'm absolutely sure I can pass this particular subject, this will never happen.

Here are a few good motivational videos to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUqiXPAj5fc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUqiXPAj5fchttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGw769X75u8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUqiXPAj5fchttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGw769X75u8

Excuses will always be there for you, opportunity won't! Best whishes and good luck!

DesertStorm
5th Aug 2017, 13:18
Reading all of this, sounds to me like you're not really the kind of person suited for distance learning (which is ok since this is not for everyone) and secondly I have the impression that you are somehow trying to find excuses for your own lack of study discipline.

I absolutely have been committed to the cause and I find the response some what patronising without knowing you knowing how much effort was put in and what was achieved.

I have 2 degrees already and the work isnt the problem. I studied for 5-7 hours every day after a full day at work and 3 hour commute and hit the question bank but more attempted to understand the material rather than just question bank as some other DL I know did!

I am far from perfect and already know it takes a lot of sacrifice.. I am prepared to make that.. I also stayed off PPRUNE at the time because people are ready to shoot down a ship rather than offer some positives like try x or abc!

I earn an above average salary at Executive Level at the moment in my office job and my age may or may not be a problem however I am willing to take a risk because I love to fly!

I thought I would ask what peiple have tried to get back into the books..thats all..

My wife is very understanding..

Sorry to clariy the PA28 is a rental plane and the Mooney was part of a Group Share which I am no longer part of.

Transsonic2000
5th Aug 2017, 15:30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsonic2000 http://www.pprune.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/597934-my-atpl-studies-stalled-how-best-get-back-into-rhythm.html#post9852874)
Reading all of this, sounds to me like you're not really the kind of person suited for distance learning (which is ok since this is not for everyone) and secondly I have the impression that you are somehow trying to find excuses for your own lack of study discipline.

I absolutely have been committed to the cause and I find the response some what patronising without knowing you knowing how much effort was put in and what was achieved.By all means, didn't intend to come over dismissive! I know form my own experience that the ATP studies/exams are quite a challenge - for some more, for others less! Good luck!