PDA

View Full Version : Swedish Hiker Calls for Helicopter Rescue

DirtyProp
31st Jul 2017, 10:33
Because she was....too tired!

https://pjmedia.com/trending/2017/07/28/swedish-hiker-calls-for-helicopter-rescue-because-she-was-tired/

Unsurprisingly, the rescue service doesn't consider "tired" as a medical emergency. The woman and her husband were advised to either carry their happy butts back down the mountain, or to pay for a ride in the helicopter.
The couple forked out 30,000 kronor (over $3,600) for the ride.

Oh, the humanity!

DOUBLE BOGEY
1st Aug 2017, 06:08
Dirty prop. Read "Into thin Air" or watch Everest.

Lots and lots of people die on mountains due to exhaustion.

I think that SAR crew should feel ashamed releasing that story. Better to call for help when you need it and recognise the need than wait until exhaustion erodes all options.

OvertHawk
1st Aug 2017, 07:01
I'm inclined to agree with DB.

How often do we hear Rescue Teams encouraging people to ask for help before it's too late? One person's "Tired" is another person's "I've got nothing left in the tank at all and can barely think rationally and put one foot in front of the other".

Even if this person was thought to be taking the P!$$ I think it's a poor show to publicise the event as it could clearly discourage someone who really is approaching debilitating exhaustion from asking for help.

OH

Vertical Freedom
3rd Aug 2017, 03:10
Shame on the Rescue team.....Exhaustion KILLS - seen it many times :eek:

Gray 14
3rd Aug 2017, 08:10
If they paid for the trip, then what is the problem??

Al-bert
3rd Aug 2017, 08:57
trouble is, smart phones make it 'too easy' for people to venture into places that maybe they shouldn't and pre mobiles probably wouldn't have. To call out the MRT is as easy as ordering a pizza and we saw this at Valley when these devices first became universal over twenty years ago. I once got called out twice in one afternoon for two 'Crib Goch takeaways' when the 'mountaineers' found it a bit too scary! We didn't publicise or censure, just made sure they spent a little longer dangling than was strictly necessary :}

AAKEE
3rd Aug 2017, 13:54
Dirty prop. Read "Into thin Air" or watch Everest.

Lots and lots of people die on mountains due to exhaustion.

I think that SAR crew should feel ashamed releasing that story. Better to call for help when you need it and recognise the need than wait until exhaustion erodes all options.

Problem is that people think they can call for a flight, despite not being in an emergency. Instead they are just a bit tired. You can always 'call 911'(112 in Sweden), but if they find you not being in an emergency they'll offer to help you with the booking of an non emergency responder heli, at your cost.

From local media,(no English version): Här är alla larm från fjällen i sommar - Nyheter - NSD.se (http://www.nsd.se/nyheter/har-ar-alla-larm-fran-fjallen-i-sommar-nm4605995.aspx)
Article says: 40 emergency calls, of these 32 rendered a mountain rescue action. 1 out of 5 calls is not rendering an rescue mission but the police helps with the helicopter taxi at the callers cost. This is a small part of the article, but most of the content is about people getting in a (real) emergency because they have too little experience of the mountains and almost no equipment.

Vertical Freedom
4th Aug 2017, 08:59
If they paid for the trip, then what is the problem??

& if they didn't pay they may well have died....exhaustion in the Mountains kills, I've seen it too often & to just fob it off as not a legit rescue by the SAR organization is very poor decision making. But they were happy to take their money :=

8th Aug 2017, 11:40
Perhaps they should paint 'UBER' on the side of the helicopter and charge them automatically - then people might learn.

Nubian
8th Aug 2017, 13:00
& if they didn't pay they may well have died....exhaustion in the Mountains kills, I've seen it too often & to just fob it off as not a legit rescue by the SAR organization is very poor decision making. But they were happy to take their money :=

VF,

The "mountains" in Sweden is barely higher than the elevation of Kathmandu, and during summer with sun up close to 24 Hours. There is a growing problem with hikers that venture out with little regard to their own or others safety, and without the proper planning, equipment and physical strength, which is under the impression that they can always just be picked up by a helicopter etc.
Northern Sweden in the summer is not comparable to your work theatre, and I would assume that the souls you've picked up on Everest, have had an insurance of some sort and the ones that still lay around the route didn't.... or if I'm wrong, who pays for the missions you perform?